Independent Study/Research Abroad
The Independent Study/Research Abroad application is intended for students who plan to travel independently and who have made special arrangements with a faculty member to earn academic credit for an NC State course. This may include internships, research, and/or service learning.
If you will not be receiving credit issued by NC State for your work/studies abroad, please see the alternate program types below:
- International Travel Gateway: participating on university-affiliated travel, not for credit
- DVM International Programs: DVM students completing a veterinary international experience (selective) or extramural (clinical rotation)
- Independent Study/Research Abroad Application: students who plan to travel independently and who have made special arrangements with a faculty member to earn academic credit for an NC State course. This may include credit-bearing internships, research, and/or service learning
- If you are participating on an outside program and requesting transfer credit, please apply using the appropriate affiliate third-party application.
SELECT THE APPROPRIATE TERM
Students should complete the Independent Study/Research Abroad Application to match the term of the related course enrollment, even if that term is different than the time period spent abroad. For example, if a student is going abroad over the summer, but getting Independent Study Abroad credit during the Spring semester, then they should complete a Spring-Short Term Independent Study/Research Abroad application for our office. If you are unsure, please contact our office before beginning the application.
COMPLETE A LETTER OF SUPPORT
As part of the application, you will need to complete a Letter of Support and have it signed by the Instructor of Record for the course you will be taking, as well as the Departmental Advisor (this may be the same person).
Course examples include:
- MIS 651 Internship in International Studies
- ARS 498 Independent Study in Arts Studies
- ARC 289 Architectural Travel Study
CHECK TRAVEL.STATE.GOV FOR TRAVEL WARNINGS
If you intend to earn independent study credit from travel in a country with a current U.S. Department of State Travel Warning, you must petition the Study Abroad Office to request special approval. You must meet with someone in the Study Abroad Office to discuss your intended plans and initiate the petition process.
RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AID
You should be eligible for scholarships and financial aid for your independent study/research abroad as long as the credit you will be receiving fulfills a degree requirement. There is information NC State scholarships, outside scholarships, and financial aid under the Funding tab at the top of this page.
By completing the Independent Study/Research Abroad application, students will have access to the following direct benefits:
- Individualized assistance from the Study Abroad Office in an emergency
- Low-cost, comprehensive international health insurance*
- Study Abroad Office scholarships
- A transcript notation indicating their international experience
*Insurance: All NC State students going abroad on any university-affiliated travel are required to purchase the UNC System Study Abroad Health Insurance policy for the period of study abroad. Information on cost and coverage can be found on the International Health Insurance page under the Health & Safety tab. Students will be enrolled in coverage based on the dates submitted in the Independent Study/Research Abroad application questionnaire. Students should review the insurance policy for more details, including billing, cost and covered benefits. Additional insurance coverage for before or after program dates can be arranged by the student after being enrolled in the policy and receiving the insurance card.