Withdrawal and Refund Policies
Any student who withdraws from a study abroad program must notify the Study Abroad Office in writing (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A withdrawal notification is required due to academic or disciplinary misconduct.
- Notifying a program director alone will not constitute withdrawal; the Study Abroad Office must also be notified in writing.
See Billing, Payments, and Fees for an explanation of fees.
SETUP FEE REFUND POLICY
- The Setup Fee is non-refundable.
- Submitting multiple Setup Fees for more than one program in same term is not an exception as these will remain non-refundable.
- The Setup Fee is transferable within the same term at the request of a student.
- For example, a student who withdraws, is not accepted by NC State or the host institution, or if the program is cancelled may transfer the Setup Fee to a different program within the same term.
- Students transferring a Setup Fee should contact the Study Abroad Office rather than submitting another Setup Fee and expecting a refund.
(effective July 1, 2021)
STUDY ABROAD FEE REFUND POLICY
- The Study Abroad Fee is only refundable when:
- a program is cancelled prior to the program start date, or
- a student is denied acceptance by a host institution or is denied a visa/residency permit by the host country.
- The Study Abroad Fee is transferable to a future term for student withdrawals occurring prior to the program start date.
- If the Study Abroad Fee being transferred is less than the new Study Abroad Fee being paid, the student will be required to pay the difference.
- Students may request a Study Abroad Fee transfer for an application once it is in the post-decision phase (accepted/committed).
- The Study Abroad Fee is not transferable or refundable for student withdrawals occurring after the program start date.
(effective July 1, 2021)
PROGRAM COST REFUND POLICY (GROUP PROGRAMS)
|Timeline of Student Withdrawal||Program Cost Owed|
|After commitment until the payment deadline||$500|
|After payment deadline to 45 days prior to the program start date||25% or $500, whichever is greater|
|44 to 15 days prior to the program start date||50%|
|14 days to 1 day prior to program start date||90%|
|On or after the program start date||100%|
- he program cost will be billed prior to the payment deadline, thus may not be posted to their student account at the time of withdrawal.
- Other fees (e.g., Setup Fee, Study Abroad Fee) have varying refund policies to be referenced when considering a withdrawal.
- Programs that are not financially administered by the Study Abroad Office may have a different refund policy. Students should inquire with their faculty director or program provider for details on the terms of their refund policy.
- Please note, all Poole Global undergraduate group programs follow a different refund policy.
- Students who choose not to participate in a program activity, either mandatory or non-mandatory (e.g., field trip, excursion, cultural event, or identified housing) will not be refunded any portion of the program cost.
- For First Year Inquiry (FYI) programs, students are financially responsible for any airline fees or penalties should they withdraw after airfare has been arranged.
EXCHANGE PROGRAM TUITION REFUND POLICY
- Students pay NC State tuition to the Cashier’s Office and are subject to the NC State Cashier’s Office policies.
- Direct Enroll, Affiliate, and Non-NC State Programs that are not financially administered by the Study Abroad Office may have a different refund policy. Students should inquire with the host institution or program provider for details on the terms of their refund policy.
ADMIN FEE REFUND POLICY (FOR PAYMENTS RECEIVED PRIOR TO JULY 2021)
The Admin Fee Refund Policy is associated with Admin Fee payments received through June 30, 2021. Beginning July 1, 2021 for spring 2022 and future terms, a Study Abroad Administrative Setup Fee (“Setup Fee”) and a separate Study Abroad Fee were implemented. The new refund policies associated with those Study Abroad Office Fees took effect July 1, 2021.
- The NC State Study Abroad Office portion of the admin fee is only refundable if the student is not accepted to the program or if the program is cancelled.
- Students who withdraw their application at any time, before or after the decision date, will not be refunded the admin fee.
- A student who withdraws may transfer the NC State Study Abroad Office portion of the admin fee to a program during the same or future year.
- A COVID-19 Admin Fee Refund Policy effected Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Academic Year 2020-21, Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Academic Year 2021-22 applicants. See relevant term information at Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates for Study Abroad Students.
The Study Abroad Office will not provide refunds of any monies paid to outside institutions, organizations, or entities (e.g., application fees, tuition for direct enroll programs, housing, third-party program providers, airfare). Students should contact the outside institution, organization, or entity with questions regarding refund policies.
UNIVERSITY REFUND APPEALS
- Students have the right to request a refund via the refund application. The application must be substantiated by documentation of medical reasons, unexpected employment changes, death in the immediate family, or University error. Applications must be submitted within 8 weeks of the date of withdrawal. The Study Abroad Office will review the application and inform the student of the decision.
- Per University regulation 07.55.03, the student has the right to appeal the decision of the Study Abroad Office to the University Fee Appeals Committee. The appeal must be filed within 30 days of notice of the decision and cannot be processed if you have received academic credit for the course.