Students are eligible to receive financial aid (including loans, grants, and scholarships) towards the cost of any study abroad program (1) if the courses fulfill degree requirements and (2) corresponding to their enrollment status (full-time enrollment is required for study abroad programs).
Requirements and Information
Full-time enrollment requirements are outlined by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Qualifying students typically receive a combination of loans and grants, though students on short-term or summer programs may have less grant funding available.
- FAFSA should be completed as soon as available and by March 1 for priority consideration (NC State FAFSA school code: 002972).
- If students are planning to study abroad and the March deadline for FAFSA has passed, financial aid may still be available. Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid immediately for more information.
- OSFA requires all students (except those on NC State Prague programs and NC State Group programs offering NC State courses, not transfer credit) to complete an Enrollment Agreement Form. Additional forms may be required, as communicated by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- A Summer Financial Aid Application (available in MyPack during the spring semester) is required for summer study abroad students.
- Financial aid packages are subject to change based on changes to program costs.
- Students attending third-party/affiliate programs should contact the coordinator of their program to request a deferment if their aid to be disbursed after the program payment deadline.
- For questions regarding financial aid, students should contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Disbursement of Financial Aid Funds
Students receiving financial aid can expect their aid to be reflected on their student account and applied towards the balance of the appropriate term. Disbursement will occur for students that are receiving bills through the Cashier’s Office (which is true for most programs, see payment policies) and have completed the Enrollment Agreement Form for the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- Financial aid funds will be disbursed approximately ten days prior to the start of each study abroad program or within ten days of the first day of classes at NC State, whichever is later.
- Disbursements are typically released on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- In some cases, financial aid may not be disbursed until after students have left the country. We highly recommend that students sign up for Direct Deposit through the Cashier’s Office to receive funds as quickly as possible.
- The Study Abroad Office recommends that all students identify someone as a Power of Attorney to sign documents or make bank transactions on their behalf. Assistance is available through Student Legal Services.
Want more information?
The Study Abroad Office will be offering funding sessions throughout the fall and spring semester. The sessions will cover a number of funding options and provide an overview of the financial aid forms at these sessions. Students with open study abroad scholarship applications will be notified with the dates once they have been scheduled.