Graduate students are eligible to participate in study abroad, and traveling internationally for degree related activities such as research or attending conferences is a form of study abroad. Graduate students are strongly encouraged to register with the Study Abroad Office (SAO), using the relevant application link below.
Options for graduate study abroad include:
- Graduate Research and Other Activities Abroad Contributing Towards Degree
- Independent Study Abroad
- Summer and Short-Term NC State Faculty-led Group Programs
- Semester/Year-Long Exchange or Group Programs
By registering with the SAO, direct benefits include access to:
- individualized assistance from the Study Abroad Office in an emergency*
- low-cost, comprehensive international health insurance,
- Study Abroad Office scholarships, and
- a transcript notation indicating their international experience.
* The SAO’s risk management and emergency response services benefit both the student and their department/college. Some students may wish to inquire into whether the unit sponsoring the research or conference attendance can cover the nominal SAO application fee.