Graduate students are eligible to participate in study abroad, and encouraged to incorporate an international experience into their graduate education. Graduate students must register with the Study Abroad Office (SAO), using the relevant application link below.
Options for graduate study abroad include:
- Graduate Research
- Independent Study Abroad
- Summer and Short-Term NC State Faculty-led Group Programs open to graduate students
- Semester/Year-Long Exchange or Group Programs
By registering with the SAO, direct benefits include access to:
- individualized assistance from the Study Abroad Office in an emergency*
- low-cost, comprehensive international health insurance,
- Study Abroad Office scholarships, and
- a transcript notation indicating their international experience.
Non-Credit Activities Abroad
All students engaging in university-affiliated, non-credit activities must log their intended travel in the International Travel Gateway. This includes graduate students attending or presenting at a conference or professional meeting and students going abroad with a student organization to engage in service.
* The SAO’s risk management and emergency response services benefit both the student and their department/college. Some students may wish to inquire into whether the unit sponsoring the research or conference attendance can cover the nominal SAO application fee.