Graduate and professional students are eligible to participate in study abroad, and encouraged to incorporate an international experience into their graduate education. Graduate students must register with the Study Abroad Office, using the relevant application link below.
Options for graduate study abroad include:
- Graduate Research
- Independent Study Abroad
- Veterinary International Experience (selective) or Extramural (clinical rotation) abroad for College of Veterinary Medicine Students (use DVM International Programs application)
- Summer and Short-Term NC State Faculty-led Group Programs open to graduate
- Semester/Year-Long Exchange or Group Programs
By registering with NC State Study Abroad, direct benefits include access to:
- individualized assistance from the Study Abroad Office in an emergency*
- low-cost, comprehensive international health insurance,
- Study Abroad Office scholarships, and
- a transcript notation indicating their international experience.
Non-Credit Activities Abroad
All students engaging in university-affiliated, non-credit activities must log their intended travel in the International Travel Gateway. This includes graduate students attending or presenting at a conference or professional meeting and students going abroad with a student organization to engage in service.
* The Study Abroad Office’s risk management and emergency response services benefit both the student and their department/college. Some students may wish to inquire into whether the unit sponsoring the research or conference attendance can cover the nominal Study Abroad application fee.