This information is specific to students who plan to attend NC State for a semester or a year as an exchange student. To attend as an exchange student, a formal, bilateral student exchange agreement must be on file with both NC State and a student’s home institution. Students should check with the exchange coordinator in their home university’s International Programs Office to ask about the exchange program and nomination process.
- The first step is to be nominated by the home institution. Home institution coordinators will submit nominations online.
- After the Study Abroad Office has received nominations, students will receive an email from their study abroad advisor at NC State with information regarding the online application form. The online application will involve a number of items, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Proof of English Proficiency (if native language is not English)
- An official transcript from the student’s home university. (Graduate students must also submit a transcript from all post-secondary schools attended).
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR): To receive a DS-2019 (a document required to receive a J-1 visa), students must provide documentation that they have sufficient financial resources for the duration of their exchange. The CFR form will be provided in the application.
- Course selections: Students will be asked to list the courses they are interested in taking while at NC State, based on the course catalog.
Once all application materials are submitted and the DS-2019 document is ready, an acceptance packet will be sent to the student’s home university. Our office will also be in touch with instructions on applying for housing and course registration.