Students, faculty, and staff are invited to the Study Abroad Fair! Hear first-hand from past participants and international exchange students. Speak with study abroad advisers, faculty directors, university fellowships advisers, and the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Visit our Facebook Event Page!
Past Study Abroad Participants and Exchange Student Volunteers
Thank you for your willingness to share your experience. You will need to check in at the reception area at the time you indicated. You will be asked a broad range of questions, try to focus your responses on your individual experience as an example and refer to the talking points below. Please be prepared with answers that are honest while also encouraging others to pursue study abroad. If you are asked a question you do not know the answer to, please do not try to answer it. Instead, please direct students to a Study Abroad staff member.
Study Abroad Shirt
Volunteers may stop by the Study Abroad Office sometime from October 9-11th to pick up a volunteer t-shirt for you to wear the day of October 12th. We hope to see many red study abroad shirts throughout campus on the 12th to help promote the fair. And, don’t forget to spread the word to your friends both in person and through social media about the fair!
For international exchange students representing their home university:
- What would life be like for an NC State student in your country?
- What is the culture like?
- How do classes at NC State compare to classes at your home institution?
- What are some “must sees” in your country?
For NC State students who have studied abroad:
- Program Options: Why did you choose your program? What did you like about the university where you studied?
- Funding: Did you apply for scholarships? Did you use Financial Aid on your program?
- Academics Abroad: How are the classes different abroad than they are at NC State? What is appropriate classroom conduct? (Were you expected to dress formally for class, arrive early, etc.) What type of classes did you take?
- Life Abroad: Do you have any suggestions/tips regarding transportation, favorite places to eat, amazing sites to see, etc.? What type of housing did you have? How did you make friends abroad?
- Culture: What were some of the cultural similarities and differences between your home/host country and the US?
- Other: What do you wish you had known prior to your experience abroad? What is one thing you wish you could have done differently? What was the most difficult challenge you had to overcome? Share defining moments, unforgettable places and why this time impacted you so greatly.
- What’s the next step? Attend Study Abroad 101 (formerly Study Abroad General Advising session) and work with the Study Abroad Office to apply.
Things NOT to talk about: alcohol use, illegal drug use, and other inappropriate issues and topics.
If you have any questions or will no longer be able to volunteer, please contact us right away at PackAbroadAmbassadors@ncsu.edu.
NC State Faculty Director Information
9:30 Light Breakfast and Networking
The following will be provided at your table: 2 chairs, water, student interest/sign-up sheets, table sign, and program fliers (for all faculty-led programs).
Faculty directors are encouraged to bring photos from past programs, a country flag, and other relevant items to your program. Other items to attract students to your table like mints or candy are also a plus!
Faculty directors are responsible for recruiting past participants to volunteer at their tables. The Study Abroad Office will be recruiting semester exchange program and general fair volunteers. Faculty directors are welcome to point their student volunteers to the information above. All student volunteers are eligible to receive a study abroad t-shirt as long as they agree to wear the shirt on the fair date.
We hope you will join us for a light breakfast after you have set up your table.
As always, please let your program coordinator know if you have any questions.
Provider and Exhibitor Information
The NC State Study Abroad Fair is by invitation only, primarily only open to affiliates, exchange partners, and UNC system partners.
The registration fee of $300 can be paid by check or money order to NC State University. Please send payment to NC State University Study Abroad Office | 2751 Cates Avenue | 315 University College Commons | Raleigh, NC 27606.
9:00 am Set-up
9:30 am Light Breakfast and Networking
10:00 am Fair Begins
3:00 pm Fair Ends
The following will be provided at your table: 2 chairs, water, and a small table sign.
Exhibitors are encouraged to bring signage/a table cloth, materials, and other swag. They are also welcome to invite NC State past participants and may point their student volunteers to the information above. All student volunteers are eligible to receive a study abroad t-shirt as long as they agree to wear the shirt on the fair date.
We hope you will join us for a light breakfast at 9:30am.
Shipping Address for Fair Materials:
NC State University Study Abroad Office
315 University College Commons | Campus Box 7344
2751 Cates Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27695
Materials may be shipped to our office by October 5th. They will be waiting for you at your table. If they are not, please contact a Study Abroad Office staff member immediately.
Parking passes for the Coliseum parking deck (parking area CD in yellow on the parking map) will be provided to all exhibitors. The pass will be delivered via email, must be printed and displayed in the vehicle window as indicated in the email.
The closest hotels to campus are the Aloft Hotel on Hillsborough Street and the DoubleTree by Hilton on Hillsborough Street. The Study Abroad Office has not made reservation arrangements at any area hotels as we have a small group of outside providers coming.
- Non-NC State Programs and Application Instructions
- Funding Study Abroad at NC State
- NC State Visitors Guide
- Campus Map (see Central Campus for Talley Student Union and Coliseum Parking Deck)