Things to consider
- Have you spoken to your coaches and teammates about your interest in study abroad?
- Have you thought about the best time to study abroad based on your training and playing schedule? Do you have any obligations in the pre-season or additional tournaments in the post-season? Are there team commitments and training scheduled in the off-season?
- Have you thought about how you can maintain your training to stay in good physical condition for the duration of your study abroad experience? Speak with your program director about what training and athletic facilities you have access to in the host community.
- Have you considered nutrition based on the culture of your host country? Depending on your host country and region, your eating pattern may not be the same as in the U.S.
- To make sure that you stay in good standing with NCAA, check in with your coaches and ASPSA about rules regarding monetary compensation, accepting “gifts,” coaching, competing in events not sanctioned by the NCAA, etc.