Visa and Immigration Process

Most incoming exchange students will need to apply for a J-1 exchange visa in order to study at NC State. In order to apply for a J-1 visa, students will need a DS-2019. DS-2019s will be included in acceptance packets sent out by the Study Abroad Office. It is then the student’s responsibility to apply to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy for a visa.

At NC State, DS-2019s are issued by the Office of International Services. This office handles all immigration matters.

See Instructions for J-1 Visa Applications 

During orientation, an important meeting will be scheduled with the Office of International Services. All students must attend this check-in to maintain their visa status.

Have a question about visas or immigration?

Visit the Office of International Services