All exchange students are required to have health insurance and will be automatically enrolled in the NC State Student Blue insurance, but have the option to waive out. More information about the waiver process is below.
The creation of this broad system-wide requirement will result in lower premiums, increased coverage and benefits, and ease of enrollment and payment.
Fall Only August 1 - December 31 $688.00
Spring Only January 1 - July 31 $688.00
Academic Year August 1 - July 31 $1376.00
More details on the coverage and benefits can be found on the Student Health website.
Enrollment and payment:
Enrollment in the plan is automatic and the premium fee will be charged directly to each student’s NC State account. Payment will be made through the University Cashier’s Office upon arrival.
International students are eligible to waive out of the Student Blue plan if proof of suitable alternate coverage can be provided.
Minimum alternate insurance requirements for international students are as follows:
- Provides a Lifetime Maximum of $200,000 or greater
- Provides coinsurance of at least 80% for in-network services
- Provides a policy year deductible of no greater than $500
- Provides coverage for pre-existing conditions after six months of enrollment if there was no prior coverage, and covers pre-existing conditions immediately with prior creditable coverage
- Maternity covered as any other medical condition
- Provides minimum of $7,500 for repatriation of remains to the home country and a minimum of$10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.
Please note: The waiver is submitted directly to Student Blue and not SAO. While we can offer some information regarding the insurance plan and the waiver process, questions should be addressed to Student Health rather than the Study Abroad Office.
**ISEP students are required to enroll in an insurance policy through ISEP, and will therefore be exempt from the NC State policy.**