Things to consider
- How visible and large is the LGBTQIA+ community in my host country?
- What are the past and current laws and cultural attitudes towards my sexual identity in my host culture ?
- Is it safe to be out in the host country and culture? What are my safety and health needs?
- Are their LGBTQIA+ resources and organizations in my host university and/or host city?
- What are my housing options? Will they meet my needs?
Country Specific Information
Below are additional resources provided by the LGBTQ Pride Center. As you explore the impact that your identity will have on your study abroad experience feel free to check out the information below.
- LGBTQ Guide to Travel Safety
- Diversity Abroad: LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
- OutRight Action International
- U.S. Department of State’s LGBTQ Travel Information
- National Center for Transgender Equality-Air Travel Tips for Transgender People
- TSA Guidance for Transgender, Non Binary, and Gender Nonconforming Passengers
- IES Abroad LGBTQ+ & Ally Resources
- GoAbroad Meaningul Travel Tips and Tales-LGBTQ Traveler’s Perspectives
- ILGA World
- Rainbow Europe
- PrEP Abroad Info
Students who are comfortable with exploring their identity here at NC State will be better prepared to engage with the issues raised above. In order to best prepare, you may want to consider working through identity-related questions and topics with resources on campus. The LGBTQ Pride Center is a great place to start.