Meet Joseph Smith (they/them)

Spring, Lorenzo de’ Medici ; Florence, Italy

Fashion and Textile Management – Fashion Development and Product Management

I’ve always had an interest in studying history and other cultures, so it felt like the perfect opportunity to understand and experience different customs abroad. It also seemed like a great chance for me to work on self-discovery and self-reliance.

One thing I learned is that I am much more capable on my own than I had given myself credit for in the past. I was able to form an entirely new social circle on a different continent, which seemed like a daunting task, but was an immensely rewarding experience. I also made a lot of progress in understanding and owning my identity. As a non-binary and gay person, I have struggled with fully embracing my identity throughout my life. Traveling abroad gave me the opportunity to invest in the person I was becoming and embrace the entire range of gender that I feel internally.

Experiencing and learning the culture and history of Europe. Growing up in the US, it can be difficult to understand the true depth of tangible history abroad. While I was staying in Italy, it was impossible not to recognize its complex past seen in all your surroundings.

Don’t limit yourself based on outdated beliefs both internally and externally. Allow yourself to grow and embrace change as it comes throughout this experience. Another big piece of advice is to not always rely on others! It’s very important to have a community and safe space with others, but make sure you are not limiting your own goals/destinations based on whether or not people will be joining you.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

Classes abroad were quite different than I expected, and I actually preferred the instruction method in Italy. Rather than having classes spaced out across the week, you typically only met once a week for a class. In return, the classes were typically 2.5-3 hours long. With this type of schedule, it allowed me to condense my schooling into 2 days a week. This gave me 5 days with the opportunity of traveling, exploring my city, and socializing! Additionally, the courses had much smaller classes that allowed a greater ability of forming a personal relationship with your instructors.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

I identify as both non-binary and gay, so studying abroad was a great opportunity for me to get in touch with any parts of my inner identity that was difficult to express at home. Given this chance, I worked on empowering myself in this new environment through embracing my gender identity in the way I dressed and presented myself. I no longer felt confined by the social box I was restricted to my entire life at home, and I was fortunately able to bring this confidence back with me.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Take this time to get to know yourself. Forget the social norms you brought from home and take the opportunity to make the changes you want to see for your future self. Also remember it’s not a rush and identity can be fluid. It is alright if your feelings change. The beautiful part of learning your identity is the journey and experiences that bring you to find yourself.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I found great support through my friends and roommates. I was very fortunate to become close friends with each person I lived with. This made my home life very enjoyable and comfortable. The dynamic in our household made it clear that we were there for one another should we ever need it. This also helped form relationships with more depth.

Absolutely!