Meet Keya Shanbhag (she/her/hers)

Spring, NC State European Center; Prague, Czech Republic

Major: Graphic and Experience Design, Minor: Psychology

I chose to study abroad because I wanted to expand my horizons and gain diverse exposure. Prague, especially, drew me in since I am a design studio-based major. I wanted to pursue a program that would easily accommodate my curriculum while also placing me in a city that is an arts center. My family and I have always been avid travelers, but I wanted to experience what it would be like to live for a prolonged period in a foreign country and move past the touristy mindset.

I learned how easily I can adapt to new, unknown situations, which was something that helped me instantly in the first few weeks of the program since I could build a routine in a new place without disrupting my peace. I also found that I love to plan things out, and oftentimes, I would be the one organizing group day trips or researching possible trip destinations. Finally, I learned more about my appreciation for different cultures and how that expanded into my mindset: I was always curious to explore the city and eager to understand more about the culture of Prague.

One of my favorite parts of the program was the program-sponsored group activities and trips. We went to Cesky Krumlov, which is a picturesque town in the Czech Republic on the second weekend of the program. It was the perfect opportunity for students to bond and get an idea of small-town life for Czechs. It snowed while we were there and one night, a few of us went up to the castle grounds and saw the most beautiful views of the snow-topped roofs.

I would tell them to explore the city they are studying as much as possible and to take every opportunity to try something new. Additionally, I would develop a routine of a coffee shop you might frequent to study or maybe get groceries at a certain time in the week to create consistency on the weekdays. If you are in a walkable city with good transportation systems, I would take advantage of these resources to make the most of your travels.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

The program helped me get an understanding of what it’s like to live and study in a foreign city with a new culture. I was able to find a comfortable space in my daily life there and it made me realize that I have the skills to survive with responsibilities in a new situation. The idea of living and working internationally does not scare me anymore after this experience due to the amazing experiences I gained various skills from during my study abroad.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised by the resources and community I found while in Prague. Due to these, I was able to seamlessly transition into a new lifestyle for my semester abroad. I also felt super comfortable and safe navigating the city. Communicating in Czech became smoother as I practiced more throughout my time there and I truly started to feel right at home.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes included more out-of-classroom excursions, which helped me creatively to get inspiration for design projects. I was also able to learn more about the Czech culture through the Czech language and culture class I took, in which we also explored the historic city.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being a person of color in Prague was not a problem due to the immense diversity around the city. I was able to interact with people from many cultures and countries. I learned how Czechs also appreciate my Indian culture and religion. The other students in the program were amazing and I did not feel uncomfortable or offended in any situations. Some cities more than others were LGBTQ+ friendly, but no one ever made me feel uneasy in any space.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

I would say to embrace new cultures and learn about the identities of those in your host country/city. In some places that are not super touristy or smaller towns, locals may not have exposure to diverse groups of people, so it is important to give them grace and take it as an opportunity to share your own identity with them.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I mostly found support in my peers and the community I formed within the students of the program; however, I also found comfort in frequenting certain places like a park or cafe in Prague and forming connections with locals. The NC State Prague staff and dorm mates were very helpful in supporting us throughout the program.

Yes!