Meet Grant Wooten (he/him)

Program and Location:

Spring, Lorenzo de Medici Institute; Florence, Italy

Major/Minor:

Majors (2): Human Biology, Sport Management Minors: Sports Science

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I always dreamed of traveling and seeing all the places I had seen photos of with my own eyes. When presented with a chance of studying abroad for a semester, it was a no brainer for me. Being a first generation college student, I wanted to capitalize on every opportunity and experience that I could here at NC State. Studying abroad was something I did in an attempt to better myself and to better my understanding of what the world outside of the United States was really like.

What did you learn about yourself?

Spending four months away from family and friends wasn’t easy, but my time abroad showed the true me that I wouldn’t have otherwise seen. I learned how to love myself unconditionally and to love and appreciate everything around me. There were a number of times throughout that I struggled, but in those times I proved to myself just how tough, strong-willed, and resilient I am.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

My favorite part of my program was exploring and falling in love with the city of Florence and the Tuscan Countryside. Home of the Italian Renaissance, the city of Florence holds so much history and was home to many of the greatest minds this world has ever seen. Despite being abroad for four months, I only made a dint in exploring all the region has to offer. Snowboarding in the Swiss Alps was a close second favorite.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

Don’t be scared! I can assure you that everyone is too, even though they may not show it. Try to be the best version of yourself, studying abroad is the perfect time for self-reinvention. Since I’ve been home from my time abroad, I have preached to anyone who is interested in going abroad to immerse yourself in the place you are staying. Find your spots, whether that may be a favorite coffee shop, or a secret study spot in the park. Don’t be afraid to try new things! What’s the worst that can happen?

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

It’s impossible to not experience some form of culture shock when traveling abroad. The biggest shock I experienced was something I didn’t even think about until I arrived… grocery shopping. With all products being in a foreign language, my first month of grocery visits took significantly longer than I’m proud of and many times, I was unable to find specifics as they weren’t sold in Italy.

Would you do it again?

Yes, 100%