Meet David Pridgen (He/Him)

Summer, Czech Republic, Public History in Prague; Prague, Vienna, and Bratislava

Major in History and Psychology

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always had the incredible urge to travel the world and do it while I am young and healthy. I figured, “What better way to do it than to study abroad!” The diversity of the world has always amazed me and as someone who grew up in the United States and never left the east coast growing up, I wanted a chance to see the world from a different perspective and challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone.

Studying abroad made me realize that it is okay to step outside of your comfort zone and do this you would not normally do! As someone who was diagnosed with anxiety at a very young age, I was nervous that I might have a nervous breakdown or something similar while overseas because of missing home, culture shock, etc. Halfway through studying abroad, I started to have some of these feelings but I quickly realized that it is ok to have these feelings. I came to the realization that these feelings are just temporary and should not let keep you from enjoying the moment.

My favorite part of the program was the excursions we took to Vienna, Austria, and Bratislava, Slovakia. Getting the opportunity to see three different countries all in one study abroad program was such an amazing and eye-opening experience. Another part I am so glad we took was an excursion to Terezin Concentration Camp to gain a deeper understanding of the horrible, terrifying holocaust.

My main piece of advice to students who are soon studying abroad is to enjoy the moment! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and make sure to live every moment you can while you are over there and do not look back. Worrying about home or something similar will just take away from your experience abroad and remember there are ways to stop those feelings!

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes I took abroad were completely different than any of the classes I have taken at NC State in a good way. Getting to visit all these different historical sights, museums, and countries rather than just learning about them from the seat of a classroom was one of the most educational experiences I have ever had. As someone who enjoys hands-on learning, this non-traditional setting of a class was perfect for me!

Without a doubt!