Meet Claire Averette (She/Her)

Program and Location:

Summer 2023, Language, Culture, and History, Lyon, France

Major/Minor:

Political Science and French Studies

Why did you choose to study abroad?

Since I began French in 6th grade, I’ve always wanted to see France for myself someday, and coming to a university where studying abroad was accessible made a dream come true. I saw it as an opportunity to immerse myself in a culture and language when I’d never gotten the chance to leave the US East Coast. I loved the thought of studying the things I was passionate about alongside experiencing the lifestyle and amazing things Lyon had to offer. I was very enticed by the 10-day tour of the country that I was taken on as well, which involved a lot of sightseeing and tours where I truly immersed in the history to gain a true sense of what the French value.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned how to find my own independence and get out of my comfort zone. It’s implied that when a non-native French speaker travels to a Francophone country, there’s bound to be some culture shock and feelings of overwhelm. However, each day of studying abroad it does get easier and eventually, I was on my own exploring restaurants, shopping centers, historical landmarks, and making travel plans to Italy. I proved to myself that not only was I capable of surviving in a new place but I was capable of thriving in these new foreign environments.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

I loved being so connected to other countries and cultures around me. I could hop on a plane or a train and be in Switzerland, Italy, or Germany in less than a few hours. During all of this, being able to speak the language was so incredible. I lived the life of the natives and I embraced the culture instead of comparing it to home which took a lot of time but was easily one of my favorite parts. Learning all the ways France challenges the US customs and norms I’d grown up around really widened my perspective of the world. With my classmates, we went to cheese tastings, coffee shops, and viewed French films in the theaters.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

You’ll never be fully prepared to go no matter how much research and planning you do. It’s better to just accept that going with the flow is necessary and everything will work out. Also, because of that, bring more than you think you’ll need and a bag for the things you bring back because you certainly will bring stuff back. Try not to compare the US to the country you’re traveling to. It’s best to keep an open mind and ignore the rules you’re used to.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes were very different from NCSU classes in structure, content, and activities. at the CIEF University, we were broken up into different language levels and put into classes and projects. We worked on our linguistics for two hours every morning and then our projects where we applied our learning for two hours in the afternoon. Overall, it doesn’t even really seem that long when you’re constantly trying to keep up and translate the content fast enough to stay on track. In these language classes, there was no English and it was very similar to the actual grammar classes you’d take on campus. However, the project classes required you to travel, interview French people, make videos/content, and draft exposes on your work. It was very hands on and in the end, you had something to show for the hard work you put in.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Don’t be afraid to try things just because you’re the first person to do them. It’s an important part of life and it builds more character and growth than you think. There’s so little time in life to not take advantage of opportunities for fear of failure.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

I’d say the most impactful identifier was the fact that I was a first-generation college student. I was not prepared for the ins and outs of university in the States, let alone university in another country. My parents didn’t have much advice to offer and they’d both never been out of the country either so I felt like I had to figure out much of my experience on my own.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I reached out to our program advisors and mostly the new friends I met in France. The people I was there with understood my struggles more than anyone back home but I definitely leaned on my family for support.

Would you do it again?

100%