Meet Ian Vermeulen (he/him)

Spring, Kwansei Gakuin University; Osaka, Japan

Political Science & International Studies

I chose to study abroad because I wanted to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to study and travel in a different country and have the opportunity to learn about different cultures and perspectives. I chose to study abroad in Osaka because of its location in the cultural heart of Japan. Japan has a world-renowned public transportation network so accessing historical places such as Kyoto and Nara is very fast and convenient. I also decided to study in Japan to further develop my Japanese language skills. I think being in Japan was very beneficial because I was able to use and connect with the language on a daily basis.

I learned to accept that being around other people can be really stressful for me. During my time in Japan, I tried to figure out ways to manage my stress. If I needed to leave a situation, for example a social gathering because the noise was overwhelming, I decided to leave that situation. I decided to accept my limitations and not get upset at myself for having them.

One of my favorite parts of the program was having the opportunity to travel around the country. During my days off, I often traveled with my friends to famous places in Kyoto such as Kiyomizu-dera and Fushimi Inari Shrine. The Kansai region in which Osaka is located has many UNESCO World Heritage Sites with rich histories. I also had the opportunity to take a day trip to Hiroshima via the Shinkansen and visit the Atomic Bomb Dome and museum there.

My advice would be to come prepared. Learn as much as you can about the country that you are traveling to so that the transition is as smooth as possible. I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with the resources provided by the Study Abroad Office and connecting with other NCSU students who are studying abroad in the same country.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

During my time in Japan, I stayed at an international dorm with students from 16 different countries. In total there were around 20 of us and we became very close. We held events such as international dinners, game nights, and movie nights. I often traveled with my dorm mates to places around Japan. If I needed help with schoolwork or just someone to talk to there was always someone available and willing to help.

Yep!