Meet Grace Hunter (she/hers)

Summer, History and Italian Studies in Florence; Florence, Italy

Fashion and Textiles Management (Brand Management and Marketing concentration) and Business Administration and Entrepreneurship minor

I chose to study abroad because of my love of traveling and the amazing experiences that fellow students have. I have wanted to study abroad since I was in high school when a family friend studied in Italy. She came back with the best stories and had a wonderful time.

I learned that I can be independent adult and that I enjoy traveling to different countries with different cultures.

My favorite part of the program was the weekend trips that were offered. We were based in Florence, Italy but we got to go all over Italy from Venice, Pisa, Lucca, Siena, Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii, and more! I got to see most of Italy all while learning about the different cities and lifestyles.

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

When I studied abroad, I went at the tail end of the pandemic, but we still had impacts. We had to wear masks during class and on transportation and ate outside at many restaurants to prevent the spread.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

I studied abroad for 5 weeks so my classes were a bit different than classes at NC State. We had class for 2.5 hours 4 days a week and in that time, we would have in class lecture or we would walk to important buildings or art in Florence to learn about Italy’s history. I took an Italian Renaissance class and a Luxury Brand Management class where we would go to important historic places or today’s luxury brands like Gucci or Dior. My professors were also Italian which gave me more depth into learning about Italy.

One piece of advice I would offer is to do some research about the place you are going to beforehand. It is important to know where you are going and what the area has to offer so that you can dress appropriate and have unique experiences.

ABSOLUTELY!!!