Meet Nico Swanson Villares (He/Him)

Program and Location:

Summer, Global Animal Management, Conservation, Issues, Solutions; Chang Mai, Thailand

Major/Minor:

Animal Science/Zoology

Why did you choose to study abroad?

As a multicultural student, I believe cultural immersion is of the utmost importance. Specifically, I believe that, through study abroad experiences such as these allow students to gain a deep respect and understanding of other individuals, as well as acknowledge and appreciate our differences.

What did you learn about yourself?

Through my pre-veterinary study abroad experiences, I was able to learn that I would be extremely appreciative of any opportunities to work with wildlife in the future, specifically through conservation efforts. I have learned that I greatly enjoy not only learning of a variety of different species, but also creating a positive impact through veterinary care and conservation.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

One of my favorite parts of the program was being able to watch animals recover and begin experiencing life knowing they are safe and healthy. I was able to learn of many sad cases involving elephants in the tourism industry, and was able to treat them and take part in their recovery.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

Both of my study abroad experiences included professional development in the pre-veterinary tract. Specifically, I was able to work and learn under the supervision of some wonderful veterinarians, and through this, I was able to develop many skills and practice many techniques that I had not previously had the chance to have done so in the United States. Additionally, I found that the ability to work with a variety of species, such as elephants, was extremely valuable, as I was able to learn of the differences in care and techniques when conducting the veterinary care of a variety of species.

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

Navigating COVID-19 abroad was not as difficult as you would think. As long as you have your vaccine card and are up-to-date on boosters, traveling is extremely easy, especially in a close knit continent like Europe.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being on a college campus abroad did have an impact on my identity. I felt more like an individual and it was really empowering. People on my campus abroad were very diverse, but also respectful and admiring of people with other identities.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

My professors were amazing! Although I didn’t experience any major challenges, I know that I could reach out to them if I needed to. The other students I studied abroad with were also great resources since we were so tight-knit.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Although NC State is diverse, other countries are too! Europe is home to many different cultures and groups that you likely wouldn’t come into contact with in Raleigh. Even subcultures on your specific study abroad campus are really interesting and you should make the effort to learn more about them! Me and other people in my study abroad group would go to pubs with students from the university and we met so many different and unique types of people!

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

My advice to future study abroad students would be to keep an open mind. Being in an unfamiliar environment can be extremely anxiety-inducing, but there will come a time in which this will no longer be the case, and instead the student may live each day abroad with full appreciation and gratitude for their experience.

Would you do it again?

I would absolutely study abroad again if given the chance.