Meet Asha Quill(she/her)

Summer, Entrepreneurship Practicum in Leeds; United Kingdom

Business Administration

I chose to study abroad mainly because I wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

I learned how independent I could be when I studied abroad. Being on NC State’s campus is great, but sometimes I feel too comfortable and don’t branch out. When I was abroad, I was forced to branch out and create new relationships with people around me. Some of my closest friends are the one’s I met in the UK.

My favorite part about the program was going to London during the Queen’s last Jubilee. I genuinely cannot compare that experience to anything else in my life. Our professors came with us too!

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

My classes abroad were much more close-knit and hands-on based than those at NC State. My program was entrepreneurship-based, so we toured multiple different start-ups in Leeds, which is heavily populated with them. I have made multiple connections with some of the Entrepreneurs and they still keep in contact with me today!

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

Navigating COVID-19 abroad was not as difficult as you would think. As long as you have your vaccine card and are up-to-date on boosters, traveling is extremely easy, especially in a close knit continent like Europe.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being on a college campus abroad did have an impact on my identity. I felt more like an individual and it was really empowering. People on my campus abroad were very diverse, but also respectful and admiring of people with other identities.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

My professors were amazing! Although I didn’t experience any major challenges, I know that I could reach out to them if I needed to. The other students I studied abroad with were also great resources since we were so tight-knit.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Although NC State is diverse, other countries are too! Europe is home to many different cultures and groups that you likely wouldn’t come into contact with in Raleigh. Even subcultures on your specific study abroad campus are really interesting and you should make the effort to learn more about them! Me and other people in my study abroad group would go to pubs with students from the university and we met so many different and unique types of people!

Do not go with people you already know! I know it seems like it is a hard transition, but since you are hanging out with new people 24/7 you will get extremely close with them and create life-long relationships with people you would probably never meet on campus.

I am applying for the Internship program in Prague right now! Studying abroad is my favorite thing I have experienced in my time here at NC State. Being in college is the time of your life to get out of your comfort zone and experience life before it gets too complicated. Travel and create experiences now, it is so fulfilling!