Meet Mireille Soss (she/her)

Fall, Tilburg University; Tilburg, Netherlands

Psychology Major, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Minor

I wanted to build more independence and confidence, learn about other cultures, make friends from different backgrounds, take unique courses, gain new experiences, and travel.

I learned that I am more adaptable and independent than I originally thought.

I loved that Tilburg University specializes in behavioral sciences and offered such a variety of interesting psychology courses! It is also an international university and I met so many kind amazing people from all over the world! I also loved that you can ride your bike anywhere and everywhere in the Netherlands.

Try to go during the Spring semester so you can stay a little longer to travel in the summer after finals are over! Juggling classes, making friends, and practicing self-care while trying to travel can be overwhelming even though it is possible.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

My study abroad experience helped me get into grad school! Tilburg University’s specialized courses allowed me to gain consulting and research experience, which I wrote about extensively in my graduate school application essays.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

Yes, I was surprised that they do not refrigerate eggs in the Netherlands!

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes were extremely different than NC State. There is far less homework, but because there is such little homework, roughly 75-100% of your grade is determined by the final exam depending on the class. In addition, most classes do not follow a uniform schedule or take place in a single location. You have to log into an online portal called My Timetable on regular basis to see when your classes are and where they are located.

I would study abroad again. It is an invaluable period particularly while being in college.