Meet Amanda Benwire (she/her)

Program and Location:

Fall, NC State European Center; Prague, Czech Republic

Major/Minor:

Master of Landscape Architecture and Masters of Architecture

Why did you choose to study abroad?

One of the main reasons for pursuing my Masters’s Degrees at NC State was because of their study abroad opportunities for Graduate students. As a graduate student, one can often feel out of touch with the rest of the student life, specifically other opportunities such as study abroad. I knew that by participating in study abroad I would (1) be connected with other students outside of my programs and even college, (2) gain valuable insight for my career and personal development, and (3) have opportunities to share my experience with other students.

What did you learn about yourself?

Something I learned about myself through this experience was how much confidence I have gained in myself. As a child I often was described as a shy person and sometimes even now that is the case, however, as I have slowly developed into adulthood I have found one common thread–a huge improvement in knowing myself, who I am, and what I bring. This partially is from opportunities to study abroad both during my Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees. You do not need to study abroad to find these out, but in my case, it has helped.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

One of my favorite parts of the program was the scheduled group and class trips that were included. These ‘forced’ everyone together in sometimes uncomfortable ways, however, this only added to the ever-present enriching experience. Traveling as sometimes a huge group and other times relatively smaller ones was exhausting, but at the same time, it opened my eyes to all of the work and time the staff and professors took to plan these events and activities just for the students. While the planned trips were one of my favorites, more specifically it was the hard work and time that when into planning these that should be recognized and acknowledged.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

If you are considering studying abroad, try to speak with professors, fellow students, or the study abroad office staff to gain more insight into your experience. Simply just expose yourself to opportunities and experiences throughout your college experience. This could be going to a cultural event, taking part in an extracurricular activity or even taking a course outside of your department. Studying abroad is not always an option for everyone, but thinking outside the box can also create similar experiences.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

Traditional on-campus classes are often filled with great rigor. Taking classes abroad offered a similar, but different approach. The amount of time focusing on classes was different particularly offering alternate learning modes. One of my courses for example met a different location every week practically. This offered valuable insight and presented opportunities for real-world examples within the city I was studying.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Traveling with a service dog is no simple task. There is an added level of responsibility to your daily tasks. Despite not knowing how this was specifically going to work itself out, I quickly learned to become flexible with situations. Other cultures have different perceptions and understandings than the culture that we have grown up in. Being culturally sensitive and receptive to other’s points of view impacted my experience abroad. As an American, I often feel pre-judged for something before doing anything. The same can be said about studying abroad. You can pre-judge and stereotype a place based on something that might not even be accurate. I would like to provide a word of caution to those who are considering studying abroad to be mindful of this and simply go into the experience with an open mind not letting preconceived ideals dictate how you will view a place.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Studying abroad is already a big decision, having a disability and studying abroad is something quite different. It still is going to be an adjustment to daily activities, however, finding a routine to help regulate daily life will provide stability. Also knowing what opportunities are available to you during your time abroad will provide some guidance to your time. This could be in the form of utilizing on-campus resources and familiarize yourself with them before you go.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

Fellow students often provided support as did staff members.

Would you do it again?

I would study abroad again. It is an invaluable period particularly while being in college.