Meet Isaac Carreno (he/him)

Summer, History and Italian Studies in Florence with the Honors Program; Florence, Italy

Social Work/Political Science

Studying abroad has always been a longtime goal of mine since I arrived at NC State. Although I did not initially know where I wanted to go, I knew that studying abroad would be an invaluable experience. Once I learned more about the available programs, and decided on one that would best suit my needs and interests, I found myself in the heart of Italy over the course of one month in the Summer. Ultimately, I decided to study abroad because I had support from the school and faculty, and I knew that I would gain so much from this experience.

I learned a lot about myself over the course of my stay in Italy. First, I learned a sense of wonder and exploration that I previously had not necessarily been able to expand upon. In Italy, I remember feeling amazed each day at the new things I could see and the new places I could visit. I learned that I have an interest in learning new languages, as I trued to make a consistent, albeit not to intensive, effort at practicing Italian language. I discovered my passion for art, and especially art from the Renaissance era. But above all, I learned that I had a love for travel and exploration and learning more about the world around me. Today, I still think back on my memories in Italy, and despite my short stay there, I know that I have grown and developed as a person since then.

My favorite part of the program was the amount of travel that we got to engage in as a group. During the week, our cohort was given the freedom and independence to live among Florence, learn about the city, and navigate the world around us. On the weekends, we went on group travel to Siena, Lucca, Venice, Sorrento, Naples, Capri. One of the weekends was dedicated as a “free weekend,” and I went with a friend to Rome, Ponza, and Anzio. These weekend excursions allowed us to learn more about the country of Italy and see it through all of its beauty. Additionally, our expert faculty directors made learning about the country engaging and informative. The travel ensured that we were able to see more of the country through an organized and structured approach.

I would advise future study abroad students or those that are considering studying abroad to simply go for it. Regardless of where one chooses to study abroad, the impacts and experiences gained are invaluable. These are times where we can explore ourselves, other cultures, expand our global mindsets, and become a more engaged global citizen. The university provides support and attempts to ease the cost of studying abroad. This is an experience that all students should seek to attain.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

I took two classes while in Italy. One was about Sustainability in the global economy and the other was on the Italian Renaissance. The first was a relatively standard class accompanied with lecture and assignments. But the second class was much different than the Italian Renaissance class offered at NC State. In class, the professor would introduce concepts, topics, ideas, and events that occurred during the Renaissance. But, given our unique position in the world, we would often proceed to leave the classroom and walk mere minutes to see the lessons learned in class come to life. I remember one lesson learning about a sculptor, his background, and how his work represented the ideals of the Renaissance. Later in the class period, we walked to the Duomo di Firenze and saw the lesson in class through its physical manifestation. Experiences like these are what makes study abroad such a meaningful and changing opportunity. I not only know about the Renaissance, but I saw it, felt it, and lived in its history while in Florence. For me, that alone is enough to make study abroad worth it.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being a first generation student certainly impacted my experience abroad. No other person in my family had studied abroad before, and I was unsure of what to expect. At the same time, I was excited and ready to take on the challenge of being the first and potentially setting an example for other first generation students in my family and the first generation community abroad. I will say that being Mexican American helped enhance my experience in Italy. As a native Spanish speaker, learning some Italian was a slightly easier and I could navigate some situations through Spanish and Italian. It was great to compare cultures, see manifestations of my culture in Italy, and engage with others across Florence that shared my identity. My identity impacted my experience positively.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Do not let being a first generation student or a Mexican American stop you from thinking that you can study abroad. I found support through my faculty mentors, NC State study abroad, and my social network. Even though the process may be daunting or difficult, the outcome makes it all worth it. This is an experience that has the potential to really change your outlooks and perceptions on the world.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

The faculty provided great support during the times I faced challenges. Our NC State faculty directors are always willing to support and guide students throughout the process. The university is always responsive.

Absolutely x100