Meet Savannah Melton (they/them)

Summer, Language, Technology, and Culture in Sevilla; Sevilla, Spain

International Studies & Foreign Language (Spanish)

Personally, I think traveling is one of the best learning experiences one can have. When I noticed this program that worked with both of my concentrations, I absolutely could not turn down the opportunity.

I honestly learned so much about myself throughout the trip, but I think most importantly was the boost in confidence I experienced in my second language and just being outside of my comfort zone. I quickly learned that I was able to navigate/maneuver the city as well as form lasting friendships.

My favorite part of the program was hanging out with my host family. They were a lovely married couple who put forth a lot of effort in ensuring that I saw as much of their country and culture as I possibly could. I allowed my host-father to order all of the food when we went to restaurants, so I tried a ton of local favorites that I would not have otherwise chosen from a menu.

Take the leap and don’t be afraid to look silly! No one expects you to be familiar with the way of life in your host country, so just dive in and learn as much as you can.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes in Sevilla were so different from classes on campus. They were intensive learning, but in completely different ways. The constant use of our second language and frequent trips to other cities provided awesome hands-on learning. Granada and Córdoba were our two big trips to visit important cultural landmarks, but there were so many other visits that I could honestly talk about for hours. Overall, the program was a perfect balance of hands-on learning, classroom discussions, second language utilization, and free time in which students were encouraged to explore and dive deeper into the every-day life in Spain.

I would absolutely study abroad again. I have already asked if I could come back after graduation!