Meet Susanna Whalen (she/her/hers)

Summer, Cyprus Archaeological Field School; Polis, Cyprus

History & Anthropology

I chose to study abroad because I found a program that fit perfectly with my career/college path. For me, my decision to study abroad was all about the courses I’d be taking and the experiences I’d have in relation to what I wanted to do after college. Because I studied abroad this summer, I was actually able to graduate a semester early.

I learned that I love archaeology! Archaeology was never something I had previously considered possible. I had always thought it was so cool, but I never knew where I would even start. By attending this field school, I got the chance to work on a dig and see for myself what archaeology is like. I also learned more about archaeology as a career path (CRM vs. academic archaeology), and now it feels like something I could actually see myself doing as a career.

I honestly loved all the people I met. Everyone in my program came from such different majors, ages, walks of life but I honestly feel like I got to know each of them so much better. We also stayed in a very small town and I loved getting to know the people in the community. I really feel like I got to know the people of Polis and that was one of my absolute favorite parts of the whole experience.

Throw in an application! I wasn’t 100% when I applied, but once I got In to the program I knew I had to take the opportunity. Also, don’t be afraid to meet with program leaders and go to interest meetings to feel out whether it would be a good fit for you!

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

My classes were VERY different from any class I had taken at state. I had already taken one class with both of the professors on my program, so I kinda knew what to expect in terms of grading/teaching style. However, the actual class was taught very differently given it was an archaeological dig. My anthropology class grade was almost entirely made up of participation (being on the site every day and working), doing post-excavation work, and keeping a field journal. For my history class, we had lectures a couple times a week. In the end we had a test & paper respectively. The courses were much more hands-on than they would have been in a classroom setting, and I kinda loved that I was able to be a part of a team and work on a project instead of a formal classroom setting.

Absolutely 🙂