Meet Luke Fusaro (he/him)

Fall/Spring, University of Leeds; Leeds, England

Major: International studies Minor: Italian studies

I always had a passion and deep interest to see different cultures and new parts of the world. This decision to study abroad was more than just completing required courses for my major, but I new chapter and experience in a whole different way of living life. That is why I chose to study abroad, to be able to live amongst people my age and culturally assimilate myself to their life.

Honestly I never saw myself going abroad for a full year, but studying abroad for that long has had its impacts for sure. I think people take studying abroad just for the ‘base-level’ experiences, but quickly forget how impactful the new way of living has affects on yourself. I became way more comfortable and confident in myself. I learned that it’s better to do things and live these experiences for myself, rather than for gratifications of others. I learned that I judge others less, more in touch with my emotions and mental health; especially learning to be content with being alone with myself for long periods of time. I learned that not everyone is going to want to do things you want to do and that’s okay! I’ve changed in the way that my values of life, money, and time are very important. Sometimes it’s good to spend your last $5 on a memory, rather than a materialist thing. Most importantly I’ve learned that you truly only has this moment once and you will never, ever, ever, get to be abroad in your 20’s, in college, youthful and beautiful again, so why wait on something that could change your life forever.

Trust me when I say this question was hard to find just ONE of my favorite parts, because there was numerous moments that became my favorite. The way in which University of Leeds was set up with the exchange program, specifically made my time abroad go by smoothly. I say this because the courses were everyday and exams weren’t a ‘walk-in-the-park’, but there wasn’t enforced attendance. With that my favorite moments were getting to travel everywhere. In the UK specifically I loved taking the train down to London and exploring the city, or when I would go up north to Edinburgh/Dundee to visit my best friend. My favorite memory was when I went to Paris, got to my Airbnb, walking down the streets, and seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first time. Seeing it sparkle and twinkle amongst the crisp Parisian air, the focal plane beaming through the night sky, was hands down the best feeling during my travels.

When you study abroad you aren’t just studying, but you’re living in a new country. You don’t have to always go out, club, or even travel outside your host country. Doing things for yourself is most important. Making friends is the best way to have long term besties forever. Stay confident in your decisions with anything. Go on that trip…. and then do another one…. then another, because you’re only young once. Try as many different food dishes in whatever country you’re in (I promise you will like it). Don’t be afraid to travel by yourself, Europe for the most part is safe, or go with some friends to make the experience even better. Solo traveling is something I did for most of my year abroad and it just changed me in the best way possible. Go with your gut feeling. Pack light because you will buy things abroad. Be prepared for the food to taste better/ when you get home your stomach will be messed up. Hostel World and SkyScanner are your best friends when traveling. Always carry cash on you, but truthfully there is apple pay everywhere. Finally I would say to just do things that make you happy, because it’s your new chapter of life and live it to the fullest capacity!

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

At University of Leeds, you will only ever have a maximum of three modules (classes) per term (semester). Unless you talk with an advisor to have four modules, the likely hood of you getting another is slim, here’s why. Each module is worth 10-20 credits which should total 120 credits, the equivalent of doing 12 credit hours per/semester. You won’t want to take more also due to the fact of the amount of assignments for those modules. Each module could have a seminar, lecture, tutorial, or proctorial. So in one day out of the week you could be on campus for four or five hours depending on what module requires specific lectures or seminars for you to attend. The actual assignments given were slim to nothing (FOR ME!!!!) and attendance was optional. Thus why I had the opportunity to travel as much as I did. Please attend your classes and complete your work, I just wanted to be transparent about my experiences. In the fall I took Introduction to Museum and Art Gallery Studies, where there were numerous field trips throughout Leeds. We went to art museums, historical museums, galleries, and anything under the sun relating to the module, which in my opinion made it interesting to learn about things around the city.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

In Leeds/UK wear whatever you want, but please be careful in other countries. I did wear crop tops and very explicit outfits (to bars/clubs and events that matched the outfit/vibe) if that makes sense. For the most part though it is colder for longer in the year than over here, so match your outfits accordingly. Many European men are not all gay. What I mean by this is that European ‘born’ males are culturally different and raised not to care about sexuality as a big deal (compared to the US, sexuality is a huge topic in society). Basically they may seem ‘gay’ but in reality they are just in touch with their masculinity wayyy more than men in the US. Finally, just relax and enjoy the opportunities and choices out there 😉

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being part of the LGBTQIA+ community and identifying as gay myself, I truly didn’t run into any problems. This didn’t impact any of my experiences, except it did teach me to watch my surroundings. Leeds and UK as a whole is very progressive and accepting of everyone. Leeds has some of the best gay bars/clubs and everyone is very open. Of course you will run into nasty individuals, but in my opinion they’re just jealous of your wonderful life (or gay themselves lol). Europe is also progressive, but not in every country or city will they be outwardly accepting, just just stay smart about where you go.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I was very lucky and grateful to not face any challenges specifically with my sexuality, but finding a good friend group, best friend, or support system is my best advice in a situation. Also, University of Leeds is very open and accepting towards our community, so honestly speaking with your advisor, professor, or staff would be a great option in a time of need. Remember friends, your mental health is extremely important, so please talk to someone if you ever feel off you’re normal YOU :))

Is this even a question??? YES, YES, YES, 10,000% YES