Meet Deanna (Deni) Lewis, she/her

Spring, NC State European Center in Prague; Prague, Czech Republic

Major: Graphic & Experience Design; Minors: Business Administration, Entrepreneurship

I chose to study abroad to broaden my view of the world and explore places I had never been to. I also wanted to learn more about art and culture in Europe firsthand. Having an opportunity to see some of the historic art and architecture I had been studying even since high school was also extremely influential to my decision to study abroad.

I learned that I am capable of adapting to new environments, even if they seem daunting at first. Being placed into a completely different culture from the one I was raised in forced me out of my comfort zone and pushed me to explore new perspectives. It has made me want to travel again in the future, maybe even for future job opportunities post-graduation.

I enjoyed our group trip of Cesky Krumlov during the snow! It felt so magical, and I got to know a lot of the other students studying abroad with me. I also enjoyed touring the town and learning about its rich history.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

Take advantage of your location and explore! Make friends with your fellow students and definitely travel, inside and outside of your host country (if you can!). Also, try as many local foods as you can! In Prague, we were given the opportunity to take optional cooking classes, where we learned how to make traditional Czech dishes. If you have the time and are studying abroad in Prague, definitely make time to attend at least one!

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

One of the things that surprised me the most was how much I enjoyed living in a walkable city! Prague’s public transportation is one of the best in Europe, and the trams and metro were very easy to use. Taking the no. 5 tram from student housing to class every day through some of the city’s most historic locales was a highlight.

Yes!