Meet Naz Santiago (she/her)

Program and Location:

Fall, NEOMA Business School Dual Agreement; Reims, France

Major/Minor:

Business Administration Marketing

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I wanted to study abroad because I really wanted to test my independence by putting myself outside of my comfort zone, I also wanted to experience school in a setting outside of the US and travel while meeting new people from different places. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to integrate myself into another culture, meet people from different backgrounds. I thought it’d also be good for me to explore another place and network outside of the US. Studying abroad would have given me the opportunity to explore Europe at a slower pace and made it easier to travel.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned that I can easily adapt to different environments, and that I am very capable of being independent in a different country, and be self- reliant. I also learned that one of my strengths is preparation, I am a planner and love to organize myself, I am very resourceful and like to anticipate any event by preparing myself. I learned more about my fears and how to overcome them. I learned about my weaknesses, such as being in high pressure situations and how I react to that, I also learned to manage those weaknesses. Another weakness that I learned I have is that I tend to get really anxious and tend to have my guard up way too much which intercedes with being able to have fun sometimes. I also learned that I am a good communicator and that it is easy for me to make friends regardless of background.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

One of my favorite parts of the programs was getting immersed into my host country’s culture and being able to experience a different environment. I also liked being able to experience a mixed classroom setting where I could put my French to practice with other French students. My favorite thing about the program was the location of the school, Reims is a very nice town with different things to do, nice shops, restaurants, and coffee shops and really nice sights. It was nice being in a place that was calm, safe, and had different things to do.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised how easy it was to navigate transportation, how the language barrier wasn’t really that much of a barrier in settings outside of school. I was also surprised at how easy it was to travel throughout France, and Europe. Another thing that surprised me was the amount of students in the program that went together from other schools compared to NC STATE. I was also surprised by how inclusive the school was in terms of events. Another thing that surprised me was the amount of people that were open to making friends from different countries, regardless of language barrier.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

My study abroad experience prepared me for my future career by allowing me to network internationally. It also helped me further develop certain skills such as decision making, planning, and communication. I also got to learn business concepts at an international level. My study abroad experience helped me become more confident in unfamiliar settings and I think this has helped me become more assertive and self-confident.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

My advice is to get involved with school events, get out of your room even if you don’t have anyone to go with, don’t wait for people to do the things you want to do because odds are that you will meet people. Make sure to always be prepared in a foreign place and do as much research as possible, integrate yourself into the culture. Even if you don’t meet as many people as you’d like it’s about quality not quantity, your experience should not be dependent of others, make it yours, it is yours. Challenge yourself and enjoy every minute of it, even if you have nobody to enjoy it with, and most importantly don’t skip on doing the things you truly want to do because others won’t do it with you, do it anyway.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

There were certain moments where I encountered racism, more often in settings outside of school, I also found myself being more welcomed by people that looked like me. Another way that my identity impacted my experience abroad was that I didn’t meet people with my same identity so I was always around people who were not experiencing the same problems as me. I found myself being more comfortable around people that came from collectivist cultures like me, but still stepping out of my comfort zone to learn from others that came from different cultures. I also found that my identity impacted my experience by allowing me to see how my I am perceived in other countries and allowing me to develop a bond with people who don’t necessarily have the same identities as me but that had similarities in terms of culture.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

I would say to be open minded, prepared, and to be ready to have a different experience than those around you. You are putting yourself in a new environment with people that are different than you, don’t let any negative experience get in the way of your mission and what you are there for, don’t let it define your whole experience. I recommend you keep an open mind and interact with people that don’t look like you, you might be surprised at how open and aware somebody is. I advise you to interact with people even if you might not think you have anything in common surface level, you might find that you have more in common than you thought. It is easy to want to make friends with people that have the same identity, but stepping outside of your comfort zone in that level helps you grow and become more comfortable around people that you are not used to being around.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I found support through my roommates, and my friends to navigate any challenges I faced abroad. I found the majority of the support I needed outside of school, my roommates were a big help, as they were locals, and helped me navigate everything throughout my stay. My friends were also locals so they helped me a lot, by helping me get through any challenges that came up. I also found support through a group chat that was made for international students by the school I went to, and that helped to some degree.

Would you do it again?

I would most definitely do it again, I would do it the same way that I did it. I experienced more than just the city I stayed in.