Meet Annie Cameron (she/her)

Program and Location:

Summer Start in Prague; Prague, Czech Republic

Major/Minor:

Fashion and Textile Management: Fashion Development & Product Management

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I’ve always dreamed of traveling the world ever since I was a little girl! When I heard about the opportunity to study abroad before my first year of college, something lit up inside me. I immediately knew I should apply as no other school I was looking at provided me with such a unique experience. I knew the program was meant for me as soon as I heard about it!

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned that I am a leader and a doer! If I wanted to see something, I would make it happen. My inner confidence shined bright as I was determined to make my dreams a reality. I also learned how to maintain a positive mindset whenever times get hard and I still use that lesson today. I had so many expectations for myself and I wanted to make the most of every new experience.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

The weekend excursion to Český Krumlov felt like a fairytale! I truly thought I was dreaming as I walked the cobblestone streets. We got to go rafting and attend an opera! I genuinely enjoyed every part of the trip, but it was also special to have group meals together and truly bond with my fellow classmates. We were on a crazy journey together and I knew the value of sharing a meal with someone. My program faced a major flight delay that set us back from getting to Prague on time. Even though we were off track, we stayed calm and used our extra time to get to know each other better. My biggest dream for as long as I can remember was seeing the Eiffel Tower, and that came true! We ended up flying to Paris and I got to see my dream city before we even reached Prague. That surprise trip is my reminder that dreams do come true (even when you aren’t expecting it).

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

It’s important to go outside of your comfort zone. You’ll never know what connections you could make you don’t do something out of the ordinary. Honestly, choosing this program was the biggest decision I’ve ever made. I was scared, nervous, and anxious about what was to come. Coming back from the trip, I felt determined, brave, and proud of all my accomplishments. My study abroad experience taught me how to face the unknown. Going forward into my career, I want to embrace positivity whenever I feel overwhelmed or stressed. There is so much more good in the world! I want to give a huge shout-out to my Professor: Dr. Debbie Acker. She truly inspired me to go above and beyond and be the best person I could be. Her lessons on different mindsets allowed me to embrace a more positive lifestyle. She also recognized my strengths and reassured me that I was talented and on the right track. Without her guidance, I would not be the same Annie today.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

My advice would be to stay open-minded, live in the moment and explore! Be a tourist and see what makes that country special. I went out of my way to find those hidden gems and I don’t regret doing that whatsoever! Embrace the new friendships and be yourself. I came back with so many special memories that I will always hold close to my heart.

Would you do it again?

1000% yes! It truly changed my life and was the best decision I’ve ever made!