Meet Grace Dodge (she/her)

Fall, Universidad San Francisco de Quito; Ecuador

Political Science and Spanish with an Economics minor.

As a student of international politics and Spanish, I wanted to take what I learn beyond the classroom. I chose to study abroad in part so that I could improve my comfort with Spanish by living in a country where I would be speaking it every day. I also was curious to experience a very different political climate and learn how people there view both their country and mine.

I learned that I am capable of navigating complicated situations with comfort and respect. Whether dealing with transportation, dietary restrictions, or even social values, I was reminded that I have to be very aware of my cultural norms and avoid imposing them on others. Standing up for my needs and those of others does not impede my ability to be culturally responsible and respect the differences that exist.

The most incredible part of my program was the opportunity to visit the Tiputini Biodiversity Station in the Ecuadorian Amazon. One of USFQ’s research stations, Tiputini is located in the most biodiverse area on Earth. I had the chance to see many different monkeys and bugs, as well as capybara, tapir, and caiman. The sheer ingenuity of how many of the trees live was fascinating, and watching the sunrise come up over the canopy is one of my favorite memories. We also got to see the Milky Way and learn about the complicated history and interactions of Indigenous groups, nature, and oil companies around the region, which I found extremely compelling.

It’s always the little things: whether bringing a favorite chocolate bar from home or figuring out how to pay at the bus station, it’s surprising how much the little things impact your experience studying abroad. Feeling at home while sharing a meal with friends or feeling entirely out of your depth navigating public transportation are equally likely when living in a new country, and be prepared to take a deep breath, savor the moment or move on from it, and keep going. Don’t be afraid to take time for yourself to go to the gym, read a book, or whatever keeps you feeling like you– while there is a lot to learn and many new things to do abroad, you will appreciate them all the more if you have the energy and capacity to adapt as you go.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised by how much there was to do– without a job or as many classes, I was expecting to have a lot of free time this semester. What I was not expecting was how quickly it would fill up. Between joining a gym that gave me a lovely community, traveling on weekends to see as much of the country as possible, and participating in on-campus activities, it was easy to feel overwhelmed. Finding people and support systems that kept me grounded became a really important part of being able to enjoy a variety of experiences rather than feel pulled in too many directions.

Yes!