Meet Meredith Gaskill (She/Her)

Spring, Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute; Florence, Italy

Fashion & Textile Management and Business Administration

I chose to study abroad because I wanted to experience different cultures and see a new part of the world! I had never before been outside of the United States before packing up and moving to Italy and it was truly the best experience ever!

I learned so much about myself while abroad. I learned that I could handle traveling solo and planning trips while managing classes and a new culture. I also learned how to be more confident and adventurous!

One of my favorite parts of my program was that I got to live with NC State students because it gave me a sense of home to hold onto while still experiencing so many new experiences! For me, the way it worked out was the perfect balance of being in and out of my comfort zone!

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

I feel like my study abroad experience prepared me for my future career by opening me up to ambiguity, being comfortable not in my hometown, and also just allowing me to experience other cultures and ideas! I am studying fashion and ultimately want to pursue luxury brand management or marketing, so in the future I hope to be in a job where traveling is required and this experience truly showed me I could handle that and thrive in different countries!

Just do it!! Take the leap of faith and trust yourself and what you want! If you have the slightest interest in studying abroad, find a friend and book the flight! You won’t regret it!

110%!