Meet Ava Besecker (she/her)

Program and Location:

Spring, Universidad San Francisco de Quito (Galápagos Extension); Galapagos, Ecuador

Major/Minor:

Marine Science concentrating in Biological Oceanography with Zoology and Biological Sciences minor

Why did you choose to study abroad?

The Galápagos Islands are known for their rich marine biodiversity, therefore it made it the perfect location to study abroad because it aligns with my career goals and interests. I wanted the chance to take rigorous marine ecology classes where I would be able to SCUBA dive and snorkel and conduct my own research projects. I wanted the chance to be able to gain these hands-on experiences that I wouldn’t be able to on NC State’s campus.

What did you learn about yourself?

I was the only person from NC State attending the program, therefore I had to make all new friends in an entirely new place. It was very overwhelming at first, but I ended up making the best friends I have ever had and realized how good I am at adapting to new environments. I learned how much I enjoy meeting new people and trying new things as well. I was put so far out of my comfort zone, but ended up becoming a stronger person because of it.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

I absolutely loved living with a host family! Instead of living in an apartment or dorm like most traditional study abroad experiences, I lived with a host family. It was comprised of my host mom and her seven year old son. On weekends, we travelled together to hike, swim, tour a coffee farm and visit a tortoise sanctuary! The most challenging part however was the language barrier. I spoke very little Spanish and my host family spoke very little English, but in the end we found a way to communicate and I still text her to this day.

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

After my first week in the Galápagos, I went out with my friends to celebrate our arrival and ended up getting COVID. I was the only one out of my friends to get it so I was left alone for 10 days in quarantine. It was very difficult to be left out of many experiences, but I was able to keep in touch with friends and family back at home more easily and maintained my relationships this way. It helped to slow down and appreciate where I was and to make the most out of what little time I spent abroad.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

My classes abroad were entirely hands-on. We had 5 classes in total that were taught one at a time for 3 weeks each. We attended lecture about twice a week and the other three days were spent in the water snorkeling, SCUBA diving or collecting data. The first four classes were located in the Galápagos, while the last class was taught in the Amazon. My classrooms were quite literally the ocean and the Amazon rainforest.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

Take advantage of every opportunity given to you. If someone asks you to go hiking or snorkeling, say yes! If a professor asks if you want to help with a research project, say yes! You will most likely never have the opportunity to be in your host country again with these same circumstances so make the most of your experience.

Would you do it again?

YES, 100%!!!