Meet Jessica Drummond (she/her)

Summer, Innovation and Marketing Marketing Systems in Munich; Munich, Germany

Masters in Business Administration/Business Data Analytics

I was interested in seeing how European countries were innovating and surviving after the pandemic. I wanted to see how things were different and how things were the same than in the U.S. I had always wanted to study abroad as an undergrad and never thought I would have gotten the chance. When I learned that my MBA program offered a class abroad, I immediately signed up.

I learned how much I missed traveling and how much you can learn about yourself when you venture out. I loved meeting new people, both in the country and my fellow travel companions. The cohort was made up of students who all came from different industries and backgrounds, so it was wonderful to experience the country with others.

The best part of the program was meeting global business leaders and visiting the oldest brewery in the world. Munich was an amazing city with culture, innovation, and amazing food. We also had plenty of time to explore the city on our own to truly experience everything the city has to offer.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised at how easy it was to get around while studying abroad. It was simple and easy to travel from city to city and to get around. I rarely got lost, even when driving around.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

This program was all about excursions and field trips. Our guide was incredible and gave us cultural lessons, history lessons, and was hilarious.

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

We were cautious, but I always felt safe and comfortable. We planned ahead all of the activities and took the precautions to keep ourselves safe.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

It gave me a global business perspective that I never had before. Hearing how companies are fully embracing innovation gave me inspiration to grow my entrepreneurship spirit. I hope to one day be able to grow an innovative company.

Do as much as you can when you are studying abroad and walk everywhere. Walking around the city gives you an opportunity to take your time to see and notice all of the details. Try new foods and drinks if you get the chance.

Yes!