Meet Thabani Mtsi

Home Institution & Study Abroad Term

Fall, Stellenbosch University; Stellenbosch, South Africa

Major/Minor

Civil Engineering

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I had studied on my campus for 5 years and I wanted to experience a different geographical, academic and social setting.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned that I was introverted, very reflective and observant.

Did you live on campus or off campus? What was your experience like?

I lived on-campus, Wolf Ridge to be specific, and I enjoyed the various offerings that were made available on the Centennial campus.

Did you have a meal plan while you were at NC State? Do you have advice for incoming students on choosing a meal plan?

I have a meal plan and I found the meals to be nutritious and delicious. My advice would be for them to look at what meal plan would best suit their dietary needs.

What advice do you have for future incoming exchange students?

Embrace the experience in all its shades—ups, downs, highs and lows. It will probably be different to what you had planned or imagined but that doesn’t mean it’s not going according to plan. There’s a lesson embedded in every experience, be intentional about identifying and learning those lessons.

Would you do it again?

A million times over, yes!

How were your classes at NC State different than if you would have taken them at your home university? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes were different in that they were a little longer, a little more interactive and it took me some time to get used to the weekly quiz, homework and assignment system. I participated in the Atlanta excursion, purposed to help us engage with the cycle of poverty and explore the works of Martin Luther King—this was an edifying experience filled with insight and food for thought.