Meet Morgan Gunter

Spring, University of Adelaide; Adelaide, Australia

Textile Engineering

Studying abroad was something I knew I had wanted to do ever since freshman year. NC State offers so many amazing exchange programs, and I felt that this was the best time in my life to do it. I took classes in Adelaide that I would have taken here, so it didn’t put me behind in my major.

Before studying abroad, I had never even been on an airplane. I was incredibly anxious, but soon learned that I was capable of more than I thought. Flying across the globe with a friend who had also never traveled, the two of us totally clueless on how airports worked, we somehow managed to navigate two countries by ourselves. When I reflect on my trip, I feel proud of myself for conquering my fears and doing things I never imagined I could.

My favorite part of the program was living in the heart of Adelaide. My friend and I lived in an apartment together on one of the busiest streets in the city, and we were right beside tons of amazing shops and cafes. I think that was something that really shaped my experience. There I was able to fully immerse myself in Australian culture and learn how to navigate a big city.

If you have even an ounce of desire to study abroad, act upon it. This is one of the best times in your life to do it, so why not? NC State has so many programs that accommodate any major, and if it works with your schedule, you would be foolish not to!

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

I believe moving to Australia gave me a newfound sense of independence. There I learned to not shy away from obstacles thrown at me, handling them with patience and rationality. My parents and many other people who acted as voices of reason to me were over 10,000 miles away, which forced me to think more and live more for myself. I think this is extremely applicable to a successful future career, as employers want adaptable workers.

Yes! I always tell people how much I wish I was still abroad. I would love to explore other countries on another trip during my time at NC State. However, I loved Australia so much that I hope to live there again someday.