Meet Rachel North

Fall, RMIT University; Melbourne, Australia

Architecture

It is required to study abroad for the College of Design, although instead of choosing the design school at NC State Prague, I decided to apply for a different university in Australia.

Traveling solo really allowed me the time to reflect on myself. I learned how important is it to be willing and self sufficient to explore and travel even when it feels a little awkward, as well as taking the time to appreciate where I was – studying abroad was an amazing opportunity so documenting my days in a journal and through photography was really special.

During fall break I traveled to Glenorchy, NZ – which was incredible. But another great part of my program was that RMIT had so many opportunities for exchange students! Like day trips, tours, and foodie nights – I met friends from all over the world.

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and go somewhere by yourself! I am so grateful that I chose to go to Australia – definitely the best 6 months of my life.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

I took an art based semester which was very different from my normal class load & pace. I was able to create lots of portfolio pieces as well as go off campus with class trips to museums, art galleries & frequent class time exploring Melbourne’s CBD.

YES x100