Meet Ananya Talikoti

Fall, University of Copenhagen; Copenhagen, Denmark

Genetics, Women’s & Gender Studies, Evolutionary Biology

I decided to study abroad to try and gain a new experience on my course material and experience different education systems. I grew up really close to NC State’s campus, so I also wanted to experience a change of scenery. I love to travel and was excited to travel to a city where travel was easy and accessible.

I learned that I’m a lot more capable of being self sufficient and independent than I often give myself credit for. Being in a new city and constantly having to figure things out for myself definitely made me more confident in my own abilities.

My favorite part of my program was all the amazing people from all over the world that I met! It’s crazy how much you have in common with people from the other side of the globe, and making those connections was very meaningful for me. It was awesome to learn about their experiences at their home university both academically and socially and compare them with mine. Another one of my favorite experiences was just getting to be in a new city — there was always some event of another going on in Copenhagen, so it was cool to be able to share those experiences with new friends.

I would advise future study abroad students to just go for it! Be willing to try new things, experience new cultures and meet people from all over the world. Be open to forming relationships with people and don’t be shy because everyone comes in a little apprehensive! Also, be sure to look into flight and hostel deals if you’re interested in traveling because costs can definitely add up quickly.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I am vegetarian, and I was definitely impressed by all the plant based and meat-free food options available in Copenhagen. Scandinavia has the reputation of being quite expensive (which is definitely true) but I was expecting to struggle a lot more to find cheap vegetarian food which was not the case at all. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

I studied abroad in Denmark, which is a traditionally very homogeneous country. Even though NC State is a PWI, I found Denmark to be way more homogeneous. As a student of color I did get some questions the occasional weird remark, but overall, I definitely had a very inclusive experience, and met people of different intersectional identities from all across the world!

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

My university provided us Danish “buddies” who served as mentors and helped us get around and get acclimated our first couple of days, which was super helpful for me. Also, the study abroad office at NC State is a great resource, and was always helpful whenever I had any questions or concerns.

100% for sure!!