Meet Roman Fendrich

Program and Location:

Spring, University of Wollongong; Wollongong, Australia

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I have heard from many adults in my life that they regret not travelling more while they were young, so I looked into study abroad because it was a way for me to take classes towards my degree while getting to travel.

What did you learn about yourself?

Male sitting on hill overlooking city of Wollongong

I learned that I can be independent because while I was abroad, I had to plan and take care of every aspect of my life. For example if I wanted to go on a trip, I would have to research how I would get there and back, what I would do, how much of my budget it would take up, and any other information I needed.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

My favorite part of my program was all of the people I met. I made dozens of friends because the people were so welcoming and friendly.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I took a class on Aboriginal Australian culture while I was abroad and I was surprised to learn about the inequalities they face even today. I never heard about the problems going on involving equal treatment of people in Australia.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

If you haven’t been accepted to a program yet, start looking at programs and researching whether they have the classes you need to take. Do that as early as possible because it was more work for me than I expected. If you have been accepted, my advice is to say yes to as many opportunities as you can while you’re abroad, especially if they are exclusive to those foreign countries.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

I am more outgoing, I have experience working with people from all over the world and I am more independent. I am better at figuring out how to get things done and finding people that can help me do so.

Would you do it again?

Without a doubt.