Meet Shelby Pascual (she/her)

Summer, University of Adelaide; Adelaide, Australia

Sport Management with a minor in Business Administration

I chose to study abroad for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons is I love to travel, so this was a great way to go and experience another place like never before. Another reason was that I saw that the opportunity to study abroad was there for me and I wanted to take that chance because not everyone gets a chance like that, so I did everything I could to go. Then, I just thought this would be a good opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself in many different ways.

I learned that I am way more capable of doing things than I think I am. This was my first time traveling by myself and I had multiple flights to go on and airports to go through, and I was so nervous, but I did it and actually really enjoyed going through it all. So I now know that I am totally okay traveling by myself and want to do it more. I also learned more about what I want for my career/future from learning what we learned about in our program, which was about entrepreneurship and business opportunity analysis, and how it will play a part in my future.

One of my favorite parts of my program were the academic excursions and extra activities/events we got to do or go to. For example, we got to go to an Australian Footy game, feed kangaroos and see other animals at Cleland Wildlife Park, and went on a weekend trip to Kangaroo Island. These were the best experiences ever and maybe things I wouldn’t have been able to do or go to ever, so it added so much to our program.

I would say to just enjoy every moment and experience you get, and to keep your mind open. It really is a different experience when studying abroad, so take it all in and do as much as you can. But don’t forget to take rests/breaks and do things that keep you grounded, like going for a walk or talking with your loved ones, because sometimes it does get overwhelming. But trust in yourself and know you can do it because you can.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

Yes! I was surprised by how everything just clicked and flowed when we settled in and started our program. I feel like people worry about how the studying part of study abroad actually works, or at least that was something I worried about, but it was all good during my time and it didn’t feel like too much or all over the place. I really couldn’t believe I was doing these 3 classes in six weeks, but I did it and did well. I was also surprised by how close we got to know our professors and see a different side to them, and it was just the best, lol!

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

I’m a first generation college student, so I was nervous about studying abroad because no one around me had really done it before and I didn’t know how it all would look like. But I used that nervousness and the questions I had to help me figure out how this process worked and it opened up the opportunity for me to go. I also knew I had to take this opportunity because I wanted to share my experience with others around me. I am very thankful for this opportunity, and for just all the opportunities I get now as a college student, because I know my loved ones before me didn’t get the chance to have these opportunities.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

I would say to not be afraid to go into spaces you’ve never been in before because it will help you grow in many different ways and you belong there too. It’s okay to be scared to do something new and be nervous about it, but don’t let that stop you. You are more capable than you think you are and don’t be afraid to ask for help either because there are many resources out there for us.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

I really found support in the global program leader person who went with us for like half the time and in our professors because we did get to know them much more on a personal level. They had also taught abroad before, so they had experience with it and with taking care of us and dealing with the challenges we might’ve faced while studying abroad, so they were supportive. I also found support among my classmates because we all got to know each other and we were all going through this experience together, so it was nice having them around and being able to talk to them, especially with my roommates.

Absolutely!!