Meet Rachel Culbertson (she/her)

Summer, Introduction to Animal Behavior and Veterinary Physiotherapy; United Kingdom

Animal Science concentrating in Veterinary Bioscience, with a minor in Microbiology

As a first generation college student, it has been very important to me that I take advantage of every resource and educational opportunity that is available. I chose to study abroad to learn more about the different career options that I may pursue once I graduate with my Animal Science degree. Being able to study abroad also gave me the opportunity to travel outside of the country for the first time and experience different cultures and create connections that I otherwise wouldn’t have been exposed to.

Through this experience I learned that I absolutely love working with all kinds of animals and that veterinary physiotherapy is a great career path that I can consider post-graduation. I gained much more equine experience and overcame my fears of working with larger animals. Most importantly, I learned a great sense of independence and became more confident in my abilities to make decisions and be self-reliant.

One of my favorite parts of the program was the hands-on experience I gained when learning about hydrotherapy. During one of our practical’s, every student took turns walking on the canine hydrotherapy treadmill and got to learn about how a typical therapy session would go. I also really enjoyed the weekend excursions, with my favorite being the Snowdonia National Park hike!

My advice to future study abroad students is to make the most of this wonderful opportunity. Although the coursework is important, do not overwhelm yourself and miss out on some of the social aspects of being abroad. Create a great balance and make the most out of your education and connections while abroad. Also, make sure to check with your financial aid advisor to see if you’re eligible for financial aid or scholarships!

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised to see just how enthusiastic and kind the staff were at Harper Adams University. Every instructor was incredibly helpful and went out of their way everyday to make sure we gained the most out of our two week course. I will forever be grateful for how hard they worked to teach us and provide ample learning experiences.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

My advice would be to reach out to your financial aid advisor and see if your study abroad course would be covered by FAFSA. Even if you are not eligible for financial aid for the course, there are so many scholarships you can apply for through both your college department and general applications. Don’t let your financial concerns prevent you from studying abroad!

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

Being a first generation college student impacted my experience abroad by exposing me to an environment that was completely new to me. I learned how to navigate daily tasks in a foreign country and make the most of a different educational system. Most importantly, I returned from my study abroad with a unique perspective and the ability to help other first generation students navigate their application process and concerns.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

While abroad, there were so many resources to help me navigate any challenges. The university staff, our NCSU professor, and my classmates were all amazing resources to seek help from.

Absolutely!