Meet Tyra Frye (she/her)

Fall, NC State European Center in Prague; Prague, Czech Republic

English Literature/Minors in Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies and Sociology

I chose to study abroad because growing up I never had the opportunity to travel, so I knew coming to college that study abroad would be one of my biggest priorities. I also chose to do a semester long program because I wanted to fully immerse myself in a new culture, and having 4 months there gave me the freedom to do that.

From studying abroad, I learned that I am way more social than I originally thought. Being in an environment where I didn’t know anyone, besides one person I had interacted with a handful of times, gave me the opportunity to get to know so many people and find some of my best friends along the way. It was also interesting getting to know people who were living in Prague and their experiences, where they were studying, and where they were originally from, if they weren’t local. Overall, going to Prague really broke me out of my shell.

My favorite part of the program was forming relationships that will last forever, even with the people I didn’t become super close with, we will always have something to talk about and bond over. I think NC State Prague is unique because everyone I met studying abroad went to the same university as me before, but I wouldn’t have met them otherwise because all of the majors were so varied.

Enjoy every moment of it and make the people around you part of your new family, this helps so much when you’re feeling homesick. Having people who can comfort you during low times is key.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

Classes were so fun and flexible, while the material was still interesting, the professors really seemed like they wanted to you to get the most out of your time abroad. All of the classes taught me so much about culture, especially my food and society class, which involved lots of Czech cooking. We even got to go to a brewery and buy beer during class, a very Czech experience. I was also in a literature class and we got to the recording studio that my professor owned, which was really cool! I’ve never experienced anything like this in my classes at NC State. Lastly, I want to shout out the fashion photography class with Štěpánka Stein because I have never had so much fun. Doing photoshoots in the studio with my classmates was an incredible experience.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Even if you’re scared, do it. It’s so worth it and you’ll have so many stories to tell.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

This was an experience unlike anyone in my family has ever experience, so the process of applying was difficult at times but the Study Abroad Office was so helpful.

Where did you find support to navigate any challenges you faced abroad?

The staff at NC State Prague and my friends were always very supportive.

Absolutely. I would go anywhere, but I think my heart is still lingering in Prague, so I’d probably choose to go back there and especially if I could do it with everyone I went with the first time.