Meet Will Thornhill

Summer, UK and Germany: Sports Programs and Facilities; Various locations, UK and Germany

Sport Management and Communication Media

I chose to study abroad because I wanted to experience living in a different culture. I love America, but part of me wanted to see what life was like in a foreign area. I also chose to study abroad because studying in a different country is a once in a life time opportunity that I did not want to waste while I was at NC State.

One of the things I learned about myself while abroad is that I love to explore. Since my program was not just stationed in one city, but rather in multiple cities across the UK and Germany, I discovered my explorer side, taking walks and subways all across the cities we visited.

One of my favorite parts of the programs was getting to meet people my age from different countries. In London, we worked with interns at London Sport and got to work with them and socialize for a week. In Cologne, we got to present and hear presentations from German students. It was always unique discussing the way their college is compared to what NC State is for us.

The advice I have for future study abroad students would be to immerse yourself in the culture while you are in you’re abroad. One of the things we did in every city was group dinners at local pubs or restaurants. This was a great way to indulge in local food and social culture, especially in Germany. On these nights, we had great bonding time with the program’s students and professors.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

One of the things I was surprised about was the fact that the British and Germans almost use no ice! If I were at a restaurant, I would have to ask for extra ice and a bunch of the times I was denied. If you are traveling to Europe be prepared. On a much more serious note, I was surprised about all the different cultures present when we were in London. You would get on the Tube and you would legit see a big number of different cultures other than yours on a ten-minute ride across the city.

Yes! Whether it happens or not is to be seen, but next time I would love to travel somewhere outside of Europe.