Meet Sarah Hallyburton

Program and Location:

Biological Science on Andros Island; Andros Island, Bahamas

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I chose to study abroad to gain hands on experience conducting a research project while also escaping my comfort zone by immersing myself into a new culture with a group of students I never would have met otherwise.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned that I really enjoy doing research. Even though it can be very exhausting and demanding at times it was so rewarding to watch the results unfold.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program? 

One of my favorite parts of this program was swimming with a dolphin that showed up while we were snorkeling around a marine blue hole!

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

Make sure you know what you are signing up for and come prepared with a good attitude no matter what the circumstances are while you are there!

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

I am hoping to continue into graduate school and this experience will hopefully help get me there. Having research experience will not only help me stand out more in a pile of resumes, I will be able to look back on this experience to help guide myself through my own graduate research.

Would you do it again?

Yes! This was actually my second summer study abroad and if I would definitely do it again. Both experiences have been wonderful!