All international students must meet the NC State English proficiency requirements.
An exchange applicant may prove English proficiency by one of the following:
1. Being a citizen of a country where English is the official language and English is the language of instruction in higher education.
2. Successfully completing at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year US college or university.
3. Submitting English proficiency exam scores that meet the minimum requirements in the table below. Acceptable exams include:
- TOEFL (An Institutional TOEFL can not be accepted)
- Cambridge First Certificate Exam
English Proficiency Exam Scores
Undergraduate Graduate MBA
TOEFL IBT 85 (minimum of 18 in each sub score) 80 (minimum of 18 in each sub score) 100
TOEFL Paper Based 563
550 (with scores of 50 on at least two of the three sections and no section score below 45)
TOEFL Computer Based n/a 213 or higher (with at least 17 on three sections and no section score below 13) 250
PTE Academic 62 or higher (minimum of 53 in each sub score) n/a n/a
IELTS Academic 6.5 or higher (minimum of 6.5 in each sub score) 6.5 or higher (minimum of 6.5 in each sub score) 7.5
*MBA applicants are required to submit TOEFL results. No other tests of English proficiency will be accepted.
TASSEP applicants are allowed to submit a letter from their home institution certifying English proficiency rather than English proficiency exam results.