All international students must meet the NC State English proficiency requirements.
An exchange applicant may prove English proficiency by one of the following:
1. Being a citizen of a country where English is the official language and English is the language of instruction in higher education.
2. Successfully completing at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year US college or university.
3. Submitting English proficiency exam scores that meet the minimum requirements in the table below. Acceptable exams include:
- TOEFL (An Institutional TOEFL can not be accepted)
- Cambridge First Certificate Exam
English Proficiency Exam Scores
Undergraduate Graduate MBA
TOEFL Paper 563 563 600
TOEFL Computer 190 213 250
TOEFL Internet 85 85 100
Cambridge First-Certificate Exam C C n/a
IELTS 7.0 7.0 n/a
*MBA applicants are required to submit TOEFL results. No other tests of English proficiency will be accepted.
TASSEP applicants are allowed to submit a letter from their home institution certifying English proficiency rather than English proficiency exam results.