NC State’s Teachers of English of Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certification is designed for anyone who is interested in teaching English abroad.
- Teaching Abroad Without Certification
An excellent, comprehensive web resource maintained by the University of Michigan which describes types of programs, lists resources for job listings and teaching techniques, and provides specific listings for overseas teaching opportunities open to recent graduates without teaching credentials.
- ESL Web Guide
A comprehensive on-line listing of English teaching jobs around the world.
Teach English Abroad Opportunities
Please note: These lists are for informational purposes only, inclusion of any given program on the list should not be taken as an endorsement of that program by the NC State Study Abroad Office.
- Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships
- Interexchange (Teaching or tutoring experience is strongly preferred. InterExchange will help you become TEFL certified.)
- International Schools Services (requires a BA, teaching certification, experience living overseas and be willing to sign a two-year contract)
- Global Routes (work side by side with locals on projects such as constructing a school, health clinic, or community center)
- Worldteach (Volunteer teachers in Costa Rica, Ecuador, Namibia, and China. Applicants accepted from all majors. No prior language or teaching experience required.)
- IICD: Institute for International Cooperation and Development (Africa and Latin America – and a special teaching program in Mozambique)
- American-Scandanavian Foundation Teaching Assistantships in Finland (Paid English conversation teaching assistantships are available through Finland)
- Appalachians Abroad Teach in China Program (English conversation teachers. No previous study of Chinese required.)
- Central European Teaching Program (school placements throughout Hungary, Latvia, Poland, and Romania)
- National Volunteer Center for the English Opens Doors Program – Chile
- Volunteers in Asia
- JET – Japan Exchange and Teaching Program