Most NC State students who go abroad have a safe and enriching experience. However, no place in the world is completely without risk and it is important for students to take responsibility while abroad and to be vigilant of their new surroundings. Extensive information on health and safety is available in the Pre-Departure Handbook and will be provided at the Pre-Departure Conference. The Study Abroad Office will also do everything possible to support students and provide a safety net while abroad.
- Students should plan to visit the NC State Travel Clinic well in advance of their travel plans to obtain any necessary immunizations.
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention advises on health precautions for travelers by country.
- It is important for students to complete the health history questionnaire with complete and accurate information in order for the Study Abroad Office to provide the best support possible and to outline a health plan for on-site, if necessary.
- Students should plan for their mental health wellness while abroad. The Study Abroad Office has created a checklist to help students maintain their emotional and mental health while studying abroad.
- Stress and culture shock are normal parts of the study abroad experience. Learn how to cope with these by engaging in self-care activities, and learn about being a Resilient Traveler.
- All students studying abroad on NC State programs are required to purchase the UNC system health insurance, which includes emergency assistance, evacuation, and repatriation. The Study Abroad strongly encourages students to purchase additional insurance coverage for any time spent abroad before and after the formal program dates.
- The U.S. Department of State provides tips for students abroad and offers the Smart Traveler Enrollment program (enrollment required), studentsabroad.state.gov.
- All students are provided with an emergency contact card before departure. Students should carry this and the insurance card with them at all times.
- The Study Abroad Emergency Response Team is available 24 hours a day through the NC State Campus Police, see emergency assistance.