International Travel Gateway FAQs

The Study Abroad Office (SAO) encourages all students to review the answers to these commonly asked questions related to the International Travel Gateway. Please feel free to contact the SAO if you have additional questions.

Why has NC State implemented the International Travel Gateway?

The university has adopted a regulation to provide guidance and support to students who engage in university-affiliated international travel. The primary goal of the regulation is to promote the well-being and safety of students who engage in international travel. The regulation requires students who are engaging in certain types of international travel to register with the Study Abroad Office and obtain resources associated with the travel.

What types of Programs are covered by the regulation?

This regulation covers Study Abroad and Non-Credit International Travel. Study Abroad generally means any program or activity outside of the United State and its territories, for which NC State students can earn academic credit while enrolled at NC State. Non-Credit International Travel means any activity affiliated with NC State which is outside the United State and its territories, is carried out by an individual or group, and does not contribute to an academic degree.

If I am a student traveling internationally for personal reasons, such as spring break or summer vacation, should I register my travel?

No. The Gateway is for university-affiliated travel. If you have questions about whether or not your travel is university-affiliated, please contact the Study Abroad Office.

If I am a faculty or staff member traveling internationally, should I register my travel?

No. The Gateway is only for student, university-affiliated travel.

Should CVM Offshore students register in the gateway?

Yes, for risk management purposes all CVM Offshore students should register. However, you should be aware that you will not be enrolled in insurance and will need to seek coverage through your home institution or a private plan.

How do I register my university-affiliated international travel?

To register your travel, please visit:

If my travel is through the Study Abroad Office or a University Group or Organization, will I still need to complete the registration or will it be done automatically?

Study Abroad travel does not require a separate registration in the International Travel Gateway. Students’ travel itineraries will be tracked within their study abroad application.

Non-Credit International Travel among students, whether independent or traveling with a University Group or Organization, must be tracked in the International Travel Gateway. Group travel is not registered automatically; each student must register their own travel.

I already have health insurance. Do I have to purchase the UNC international insurance coverage?

Yes. The UNC system offers a low-cost policy which is required for all students participating in any university-affiliated international travel because it includes not only comprehensive health coverage, but medical evacuation and repatriation, and evacuation for natural disasters and political unrest.

How much does the insurance cost?

See the Insurance webpage for cost information:

Can my department or other party pay for my insurance costs?

Possibly. If a department or other party wishes to pay the insurance bill on the student’s behalf, they may do so via Third-party Student Sponsorships. Departments are instructed to use the Sponsored Student Authorization (GA-1) form. Questions about this process should be directed to: Allison Bennett, UCO Sponsored Billing, Tel: (919) 513-4277.

Can the insurance requirement be waived?

Under limited situations where international students are travelling to their home-country, the student may be eligible to waive the UNC system coverage requirement. To seek a waiver, please contact Kim Priebe <>.

Does my Non-Credit International travel require approval by the Study Abroad Office?

No. Non-Credit International Travel does not require approval unless students intend to travel to areas defined as Restricted Travel Areas (any location for which the U.S. Department of State (DOS) has issued a Travel Warning, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Warning Level 3, or NC State has restricted travel).

Students must petition and be approved to participate in any university-affiliated travel to Restricted Travel Areas. Student organizations must have the endorsement of their advisor.

Petitions not approved may request a second review from the Provost or his designee, who has the final say.

Where can I find relevant travel alerts and warnings?

Students are advised to review the US Department of State Department travel website and consular sheets, and CDC Travel Notices website.

What assurances do I have that my travel plans will be kept private?

All data is entered into a secure database that requires Unity ID login with Shibboleth Duo Authentication.

Who has access to international travel and Study Abroad information?

Only Study Abroad Staff and other University officials with a legitimate educational interest in the information.

Does this information fall under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

Yes. All records created or maintained associated with international travel and Study Abroad are student education records under FERPA and are provided the privacy and protections associated with the law.

Are there scenarios under which some agency or person outside NCSU could request and be granted information either on a specific student, or on students travelling to certain countries, or students engaged in certain kinds of research or study?

All of this type of information is protected under FERPA. Therefore, disclosures to third parties is only permitted if a student consents to the disclosure or another exception applies. Any requests for access to the data by a third party would have to fall under a FERPA exception prior to the information being released. If the Study Abroad Office is asked for such information, they shall notify the Office of General Counsel who will respond on behalf of the University.