Faculty Director Compensation

If the Study Abroad Office manages a program’s budget, NC State faculty who serve as study abroad program faculty directors may receive a salary. The salary is built into the program budget, following salary guidelines approved by the Study Abroad Advisory Board.

EPA Supplemental Pay Request
In order to receive compensation, an EPA Supplemental Pay Request form must be submitted. The Study Abroad Office will initiate the request at the spring budget meeting.  It will then be routed to the appropriate person in the faculty director’s home department/college, OIA, and HR for approvals.

Salary Payment Schedule
Generally Faculty Directors will be paid the first half of their salary the month in which their program begins, and the second half the next month.

All program salaries must be paid through University Payroll and must include “fringe benefits.” These are mandatory deductions from pay, such as state and federal tax withholdings, and any voluntary withholdings. Such withholdings vary by employee but typically include: federal health insurance, OASDI (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance; i.e. Social Security), State Retirement, TIAA Retirement Annuity, and an Optional Retirement Plan. These withholdings have an employee and an employer contribution. The Study Abroad Office, as temporary employer for a faculty member leading a study abroad program, is responsible for paying the employer contribution, thus this amount is built into the overall program budget. As the employee, the faculty director’s portion of the fringe benefits will be deducted from the gross salary amount, as they would be from the regular NC State salary.

Back < Program Travel Logistics  Next > Travel Advance