Meet Jaylen Johnson (He/him)

Maymester, Human Resource Management; Sevilla, Spain

Finance

I’ve been studying Spanish in class room settings as well as through other means for over a decade, so this was my first real opportunity to immerse myself in the language. Being blessed to experience a place where the signage, menus, music, and news was in Spanish was exactly what I needed to push me over the final hurdles towards fluency.

I learned that I am more self reliant than I had ever imagined. I am resourceful, a leader, and a quick thinker in high pressure situations. I discovered that I am able to go out and have fun and explore a whole new world while also maintaining high integrity in my studies.

I really enjoyed the various cultural visits we took. I’m a bit of a history buff so to actually experience these grand sites in real life was a dream come true. I got to tour 700 year old cathedrals and buildings that hold the history of an entire country within their walls.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classes were a lot smaller and more interpersonal. We got the chance to get to know the professor and more importantly, he got the chance to know us.

What was your experience with navigating COVID-19 abroad?

I felt very safe as far as the likelihood of any covid contraction or transmission. Masks were required during the use of any public transportation, which is the primary means of commute in Spain. However, to be allowed back into the US at the end of the trip you had to have a recent proof of a negative covid test. Trying to do it locally was a huge hassle, navigating pharmacists, waiting to be contacted, etc. Luckily, I had brought some do it yourself test strips from home but these also caused problems. I remember that that test strips came with a link that was supposed to have a 24/7 on call doctor there to verify your results, but when I entered my zoom link there was no doctor. I didn’t have an international phone plan so I couldn’t even call the company for support. I had to get my mom involved and she was able to call the 1-800 number locally from the US and get someone to come verify my test.

In what ways did your identity have an impact on your experience abroad?

It made me very visible and memorable in the community. I was ” Jaylen, the black man who speaks Spanish.” It allowed me to quickly makes friends with local college students around my age. Being different wasn’t a hindrance, if anything it was a conversation starter and on a study abroad, meeting new people should be a high priority.

Is there any advice you would give to other students who share your identity?

Don’t worry about any strange looks or long stares. Your features are beautiful, your curls or coils are eye catching, and your complexion is radiant. They’re only looking at you because there aren’t many black people there, its new to them and you look stunning.

I would tell any student planning on embarking on a study abroad to take some time before the trip to brush up on the basics of the local language, read about the overall ambience of the culture, and to enter with an open mind.

I would definitely do it again, it was life-changing.