Meet Katie Williams

Program and Location:

Summer, Global Food Systems and Sustainable Agriculture; Various Locations, Ireland and Scotland

Major/Minor:

Animal Science

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I chose this study abroad mostly because of the incredible itinerary, perfect time length, and the location.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned how to adapt to change and become more accepting of other cultures and their ways of living. I also learned how rewarding it was to do something so far out of my comfort zone.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

My favorite part of the program was meeting all of the farmers, learning how they have become so successful, and experiencing how they share resources with others in the agricultural community. I also really got to know and love all the people I went with even though we are all from such different backgrounds!

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

Just do it. I was honestly so nervous to go abroad, especially not knowing anyone on the trip, but it turned out to be the best thing I’ve ever done. Once you go abroad, all of your worries go away and you truly have the time of your life.

How did your study abroad experience prepare you for your future career?

It really diversified my career options, to be honest. I saw so many ways I could help the agriculture field here in the United States based off of what they do in Ireland, which is super neat!

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was really surprised how willing the people were to help each other in Ireland and how little they waste. All of the local farmers would share feed or manure with others that could use it on their farm before having to throw it away.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

We did the majority of our learning outside of the classroom and most of it was very hands on. It allowed us to stay attentive and have the material meet our specific needs.

Would you do it again?

100% YES!