Meet Sydney Chance

Program and Location:

NC State European Center; Prague, Czech Republic

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I chose to study abroad because I was ready for a change of scenery. Little did I know, life in the Czech Republic would be so different than it is in the United States and I would get to experience a lot of new things.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned that I was a lot tougher mentally than I thought I was. It is a lot harder adjusting to a new place than most think. There were times I got lost with no wifi and there were times when I was just confused, but every single time I did not think I would be able to figure it out! I did especially, with the help of friends.

What was one of your favorite parts of your program?

At the NC State European Center you get to experience a beautiful city with kids who are from the same place as you, this really helps you to grow bonds with people and be able to continue your new relationships back at home.

Were you surprised by anything during your time abroad?

I was surprised by how unique life in Europe is versus the United States. I was able to travel to nine different countries and every time I went somewhere new I was in total shock of how differently people lived their lives. The food is different, going to the grocery store is different, and not always being able to speak the same language makes for unique experiences.

What advice do you have to future study abroad students?

It is going to be tough being away from everything you are familiar with, but everything will be okay. Take every single moment in because you may not ever get an opportunity like this again.

Would you do it again?

100% YES!